Author Topic: 65 Coupe Deville Radiator overflow  (Read 1280 times)

Offline caddy65coupe

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
65 Coupe Deville Radiator overflow
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just after some advise, i took my 65 deville for a cruise over the weekend in extreme sydney weather 38 deg, we got stuck in some minimal traffic. After stopping for lunch i noticed some coolant dripping out of the radiator overflow( my temp gauge stayed at 1/4 so i had no reason to be concerned) once the engine cooled i checked the water level and found it was 2 inches from the top of the radiator and there were some bubbles(froth) at the top.I filled the radiator back up with water to 1/4 " from the  top and drove home in much cooler weather (25deg).The car drove home fine, Once i got home i checked the level and found it hadn't moved.I have ordered a new temp sender sensor from the states today  as  i think it may be faulty. Can any one advise if they have the same problems on extreme days? and what the normal water level of the radiator should be on this model.Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance

Graeme

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 65 Coupe Deville Radiator overflow
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »
Does your cooling system have a recovery bottle?   Or does it simply overflow to the ground?

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline caddy65coupe

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »
Hi Bruce,

It has no overflow bottle, it just overflows out the tube. onto the tray underneath the radiator then onto the ground .

Graeme

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
In that case, the level of the coolant inside the radiator, when cold, should be at least 1" below the botton of the radiator cap hole.

This allows for expansion as the coolant heats up.   Any excess will get purged out, and then will settle back to the normal level as it cools down.

The only radiators that should be filled to the top, are the ones that use a recovery system, that uses a special two-way radiator cap that as well as sealing at the bottom, seals at be side, but has a one-way valve to allow the excess coolant that was sent out of the radiator as it warmed up, to be suctioned back in.   Sorry for the long sentence without a break.

If you look at a non-recovery cap, and a recovery cap side by side, the non recovery cap is shorter, and simpler.

You can fit a non-recovery cap onto a later radiator, but can't fit a recovery cap onto an earlier radiator.   BUT, the first one won't apply pressure to the sealing face, as it is too short.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline caddy65coupe

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
Cheers Bruce thank you for the info.