Author Topic: Air conditioning dilemma...  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Whitepink59

• Eldorado Member
  • I have been cursed by a coupe devil...
  • Mood: Happy (always)
Air conditioning dilemma...
« on: December 31, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »
Today was so hot that my 18 month old cried for the entire journey from Mt Eliza to Melbourne.  The poor little bugger was so unhappy that I can't bring myself to drive the car in summer again without air. So, air it is.

The dilemma is this - do I try to get an original system fitted to my car (which did not have air from the factory), or do I fit an aftermarket system?

I expect that I will face the usual dilemma - original will maintain resale value and will integrate into the car better, but will cost more, will not work as efficiently and will take ages to locate...

All comments welcome.
1959 Coupe DeVille, white with pink interior
1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 convertible, orange over brown, 351W and FMX

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: Air conditioning dilemma...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:50:21 AM »
Sounds like someone doesn't like going to Melbourne?

But, seriously, getting a complete, original, working AC system for your car is going to be a costly exercise, that, in the end will be worth it, but will necessitate a tremendous amount of disassembling and reassembling with things that you never thought necessary.

John Morris has a complete unit for sale in USA, for US$1,500.00 and will send EVERYTHING required except it is missing the Generator cooling elbow.

Check out the CLC Motherboard   http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,109070.0.html

But, if you do buy this, have him use the correct material to crate it up, and have everything cleaned before being sent.

But, nothing wrong with an aftermarket "Under-Dash unit in the interim for this Summer Cruising, as it will take forever to get an original unit installed.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Check with Ken Francis up in Hervey Bay, Queensland about his experiences with importing his complete AC.
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:24:22 AM »
Under dash will be realistic solution.

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline Whitepink59

• Eldorado Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:44:09 PM »
Under dash will be realistic solution.

That sounds right - especially having followed the link in Bruce's message.

Offline V16 Dreaming

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:50 PM »
Amazing how complicated a bit of conditioned air really is.
A pity real air doesn't quite cut it any more.

[ A couple of years ago I took my wife and then 2 year old son to the cadillac club X-mas party in Eltham-lovely pkace- but a  1 hour drive in 40 plus degrees heat- air-con present but non-functioning of course.  My son did not complain one bit, he just turned a really impressive tomato red. My wife however has not been back in the car on any remotely warm day ever since. ] 

Cheers, John

Offline Whitepink59

• Eldorado Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 06:23:34 PM »
I was there.  I remember it.  And, I think I spoke to John in the driveway.

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 06:57:14 PM »
...air-con present but non-functioning of course. 

Not for long (we hope)!

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline Captain Morgan

• DeVille Member
  • 1960 Koupe deVille
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »
Has anyone put a GenII or GenIV VintageAir system in their Caddy ? I have factory air... But never worked... So as part of resto... I am going to put an aftermarket system in. Also, anyone know best supplier if VintageAir in Oz ?
1960 Coupe de Ville... but full resto will turn it into a Kustom !

Offline muzza427

• Fleetwood Member
    • Murray's Cadillac Page
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »
My own experience with the VA package was not a good one. Agent was simply a reseller. Waited 6 weeks and still sent me the kit for the non-AC car, wrong mounting brackets and plastic blower unit that did not fit the original hole in the firewall so would have needed welding up and re-cutting for the new one. Too hard. This even after I had sent photos of the under hood (original) factory air setup, that had been hacked out by a previous owner. He tried to make it right but had to continuously go back to the principle in the US. Would be a different story if we were in the US, but sadly we don't have that service delivery they do.

Ended up using the supplied Chinese knockoff of a name brand compressor, some of the other mounting bits, and an aftermarket new under dash condenser unit from a minivan that works a treat, This unit would make ice. Not original look but my car is not a concours show car, it's an every day daily driver, rain hail or shine, and practical for my needs. Everything can be removed without effort if some later owner wishes to restore to original. Ended up leaving the original blower unit in place, but had to remove the interior vent to fit the under dash blower. Controls are now micro switches connected behind the original slide controls.

Suggest you talk to a professional air-conditioning outfit and tell them what you want. If you want the original look, suggest you look to buy the original kit and refurbish. Air conditioning can be a real minefield and whichever way you go, wont be cheap.To each his own.
Murray
1960 Coupe DeVille

Offline Captain Morgan

• DeVille Member
  • 1960 Koupe deVille
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
Thanks Murray. My car is stripped down to the bone at the moment. Not planning on using any of original system. Figured I could weld up some of the holes in firewall that are no longer required. After speaking to Vintage Air and a few different people... Will probably use the GenIV system and put controls in the area where old original slide controls are. Interested in how yours didn't fit ? Which system did you use ?

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »
When I was looking into fitting A/C to my '60 (didn't have Air), I investigated fitting the A/C unit out of an HQ 350 Statesman, as my car was RHD.   It would have needed some alteration to relocate the fan to the other side of the Bonnet Hinge, but do-able.   The Statesman 350 unit had a smaller, more compact engine bay case than the one used in the 308 and the 6.

If I had a LHD '60 with Air, I think I would be using that, but replacing the Compressor, Drier, etc with late model parts, that were R134a compatible, and recondition the rest of the unit.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Captain Morgan

• DeVille Member
  • 1960 Koupe deVille
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »
Bruce... I have had a good look at original units (evaporator, blower etc) and needs a lot of work ... Plus like you say - new drier, compressor and hoses etc for R134... Would be very exxy to rejuvenate. Hopefully a modern system will be a cleaner looking engine bay ... And uber cold air when needed.

I am not overly fussed about concourse ... Car will be a mild kustom anyway.

It is still a while away to do it ... Will keep you posted on progress.

Offline Whitepink59

• Eldorado Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 03:18:23 PM »
Hi all. I thought I might bring this thread back to life after a long absence from the forum.

I have decided to revive my air conditioning project for my 1959 coop.  It has been a bit of a rush job, given that I decided to put air conditioning in the car in December 2009.  :grin:

I am thinking of using this guy: http://www.melwideautoradiators.com.au/hot-rods-customs/

He seemed pretty decent when I spoke to him on the telephone a while back. And he seems to have had plenty of experience with old GM cars.  Has anyone had any experience with him that they can report on?

Many thanks
Sam