Author Topic: how do i find my engine number ??  (Read 2104 times)

Offline nortz

• DeVille Member
how do i find my engine number ??
« on: June 20, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals
I am looking for the engine number on a 1966 429 cadillac engine anyone got any ideas on how to find it ? thought it was near the water pump but couldn't see it ?
found a number on the back of the engine but not sure if its the right one.... Can anyone help ?

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: how do i find my engine number ??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »
All the Cadillac Engine Numbers I have seen are at the back.

The 390's have it behind the Left Cylinder Head, on the Bellhousing Flange, and the 472/500's have it on the Left of centre behind the Intake Manifold, so I would be looking at similar places for the 429's.

Chevrolet has theirs at the front.

But then, I could be wrong.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »
You're right Bruce.
It'll be on the top of the block, just behind the inlet manifold, right next to the top of the transmission bellhousing.
It's not uncommon to have to slide your tummy across the front fender so you can get your head all the way over and behind the air cleaner to see.

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline nortz

• DeVille Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »
Thanks for your help guys will go have a look in the light.

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »
Plus, I might add that the numbers will be stamped into the virgin casting, and not onto a machined pad like in most other engines.

Harder to forge this way, as modifying anything here leaves the area in such a condition that it is easily seen to be altered.

You will have to look really closely in most cases to make out the Characters.   I have a 500 engine here that is out of the vehicle, and I find it difficult to make out the numbers at a glance.   Really have to concentrate.

Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Donna Collum

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »
Plus, I might add that the numbers will be stamped into the virgin casting, and not onto a machined pad like in most other engines.

Harder to forge this way, as modifying anything here leaves the area in such a condition that it is easily seen to be altered.

You will have to look really closely in most cases to make out the Characters.   I have a 500 engine here that is out of the vehicle, and I find it difficult to make out the numbers at a glance.   Really have to concentrate.

The 390's I have played with have 2 numbers.

One on the rear behind LH cylinder head along near the belhousing runnin up the engine from left to right is you were standing behingd the engine.

This number is the assmbly number and will tell the assembly line thing like its for an A/C car, or low compression engine, or if the engine has undersize bearing etc fitted, it will be close to the chassi number but not the same, the 62 year engines begin with 62X for an A/C car, the manual has a break down of what the prefix's mean.

The second number is again on the LH side of block, just above the sump join line, under the first welsh plug, at least on my 62's it is, this number will be the same as the chassis number 62J ******** for a Coupe deVille. it is only stamped too, but on a bit of a flat surface, I guess this was put on as the engine was going into the car.

My car was first registered in Australia with the assembly number on the rego papers, when I blue slipped it on re-rego, I had it changed to the correct matching number to the chassis.

I have looked at a fair amount of early 60's cads with 390's and they have all been the same. not sure about the later engines.