Author Topic: 1976 Deville rear crank seal  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Phil Weber

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
  • My Name: Phil
1976 Deville rear crank seal
« on: April 19, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
Hi

Need some advice on replacing rear crankshaft seal on my 1976 500 Deville.
I have the engine torn down to where it is just the short motor in the car so this seems like a good opportunity to replace the rear crank seal.
I have a manual and it seems pretty straight forward. The advice I need is in two areas . The first is where to join the ends of the two halves of the seal. According to the manual and the instructions in the FEL-PRO gasket kit you join them at the point where the bearing cap meets the block. I have been reading that it is better to have the ends meet about 1/4 of an inch above and below this point . That seems to make sense as you don't have the joins in the same place .
The second is the seal itself. The manual instructs you to make sure that , when the seal is in place , the lip on the seal is facing forward. The seals I have , FEL-PRO brand, do not have a definitive lip on them . They do appear to be an oval shape though . I'm assuming you install the seal flat so to speak .
Lastly any recommendations on assembly lube for these rope type seals.

Thanks................Phil

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 1976 Deville rear crank seal
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:45:24 PM »
G'day Phil,

Yes, off-set the seal by around 3/8", and make sure that you put some sealant under the cap so the oil doesn't leak out past the side of the seal and the sump gasket.

Now, the lip of the seal must be facing towards the front of the engine.   You have to imagine the oil pressure trying to push out under the seal lip.   If the lip is facing backwards, the oil will lift the lip up.   The other way, any pressure till tighten up the seal.

Now, the seal isn't designed to actually hold oil pressure as such, just stop the splashing oil from getting out.   There is a drain slot in the cap to allow the squeezed oil from the bearing to simply drop back into the sump.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Phil Weber

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
  • My Name: Phil
Re: 1976 Deville rear crank seal
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
Hi Bruce

Thanks for the info. I've done a little more research on fitting the seal with the engine in the car and have decided not to go ahead with it . I'm going to risk it being ok. I really think it's an engine out job . I guess I'll soon find out .

Many Thanks................Phil