Author Topic: LS swap into my 60  (Read 514 times)

Offline Captain Morgan

• DeVille Member
  • 1960 Koupe deVille
LS swap into my 60
« on: March 09, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »
Hi guys... am considering putting a 6L LS2 into my 60... has anyone done it... any info...

Thanks

PS... dont hate... only considering at this stage...and not a numbers matching car...
1960 Coupe de Ville... but full resto will turn it into a Kustom !

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: LS swap into my 60
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
Question without notice...... Why?

Is there something drastically wrong with your original engine and Trans?

I had a BBC 454 and TH400 in my '60 CDV when I purchased it, and it ran okay.

When I replaced it with a 390 and Hydro, it ran a lot better, was smoother on the road, and handled far better, and I am a Hot Rodder at heart.

The original suspension is set up for the mass of the original engine and trans, and believe me, these things are HEAVY.   The same goes for the rear end ratio.   The original trans shifts out of low gear at around 15 mph, which really gets the car up and moving off the line.   And, it is a 4 speed trans, but, alas, not an overdrive version.

Installing a light weight SBC and trans into the chassis is possible, but you have to be aware that there will be alterations to the Sump, and as the SBC doesn't have the massive torque of the Cadillac 390, you will need to change the rear end to get the same performance off the line.   There are no differing gear sets around, so a complete rear end change will be required.

Bruce. :devil:

Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Captain Morgan

• DeVille Member
  • 1960 Koupe deVille
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 12:02:35 PM »
Thanks Bruce.

In need to rebuild trans and engine ... $3000 for Jetaway and $5000 for the 390.

The original is cooler ... but looking at LS2 for a cheaper option with the added reliability of fuel injected motor... with ongoing benefit of parts for a LS2 vs the Caddy motor.

Just weighing up options at the moment ...  nothing is set in concrete right now. Just after expert opinions.
1960 Coupe de Ville... but full resto will turn it into a Kustom !

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 03:01:44 PM »
$8,000.00 is a lot cheaper that having to have someone do all the additional work in modifying EVERYTHING to accept the later engine and Trans.

Radiator, coolant hoses, exhaust, engine mounts, trans mounts, tailshaft, fitting the engine in the hole, gearshift selector quardant, NSS safety switch, front coil springs, speedo, yes, the later one is electric, so the dash one won't work.   Plus a lot more fiddly stuff to get it going.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)