Author Topic: 1959 rear wheel bearings  (Read 151 times)

Offline pdm59

• Fleetwood Member
1959 rear wheel bearings
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:56:26 AM »
I am needing to do rear wheel bearings on my 59 fleetwood, just wanting to know if any one has attempted this and if so is it a job I would be able to do as a back yard mechanic. Alternatively I will take it to some one who gives me the line that this not your average every day wheel bearing job and will proceed to bend me over. Had a look at the workshop manual on how to do it, sometimes the manual over simplifys things and it can go pear shape real quick and I am stuck with a car on ramps in the middle of my garage for weeks on end. Any assistance from some who has gone down this road would be appreciated, or if some one knows a mechanic in Melbourne who has done it for them would also be appreciated.  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Paul

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 1959 rear wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »
G'day Paul,

A simple task.   Just follow the shop manual and take heed of the measurements, and you cannot go wrong.

Plus, get the best bearings you can, SKF, etc, BUT DO NOR BUY OFF EBAY, unless you know they are not Chinese.

Plus, they ARE expensive.   I purchased a pair some 20 years ago, and they were over AU$140.00 each.

My last one went to Western Australia.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline VMX453

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
Hi Paul, it should be a relatively straightforward job for a decent mechanic.
I'm not sure where you're situated in Melbourne but if you're anywhere near Hallam it may be worth contacting Lee Franklin at Memphis Auto Repairs 8786 3760. Lee has a couple of Cad's himself and is not afraid to work on older cars.

Cheers,
Arnold.
Arnold Millane
Automotive Technologies of Australia

Offline pdm59

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:01:14 PM »
 I ended up taking the safe option and took my 59 fleetwood to the mechanic to do rear bearings, cost me $250 in labor only I supplied bearings. While up on the hoist greased all points and checked to see everything was in order. May sound a lot to those that are capable of doing there own mechanical works, but to those like me who are unsure it's very quick easy way out. No mess no hassle. :cool: :cool: :cool: