Author Topic: My 1962 fleetwood epic  (Read 3052 times)

Offline 62Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
My 1962 fleetwood epic
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »
Hi guys, hope you don't mind me starting a progress thread on my project.  I've found its a good way to keep track of what I've done and paint a bit of a story!

I'm still very new here, so my story is i'm a young bloke living in Perth and I've bought a 1962 fleetwood.  Car was running (like a hairy goat) and has been converted to RHD (slightly agricultural).  Its unreg, and was last reg in Qld in 1986.  A lot of money has been spent on it in the past but the poor girl has been sitting untouched for quite a while.

All the sheetmetal work has already been done and she's in various coats of primer, needs some straightening out in areas but overall a very honest old car.  She came 95 percent complete (in peices) and I spent the first week or so sorting through all the jars of screws and bits and peices, interior peices, dash components etc.  I've got a room in the house dedicated to all the chrome work, much of which has been replated or is just in great nick.

I started by replacing the spark plugs and leads, adjusting the points, fitting an electric fuel pump (mech pump diaphragm was ruptured) and stripping the carby.  I pulled a half a cup of sand/dirt out of the bowls of the carter AFB and set the float levels/mixtures and got her running well enough to take a drive down the street. 

The automatic is a bit erratic when downshifting and will slip excessively and not re-engage until after coming to a complete stop, but this is not a problem right now.  Mechanically everything was supposedly rebuilt, which i'm yet to confirm, but so far so good.  Unfortunately all the work was done a while ago and a lot of things like suspension bushes etc have gone bad.

Once i cleaned the whole car out and got the engine running, i went through all the internal wiring and made sense of everything from a wiring schematic I have, so far so good.  I reassembled the dash and instrument cluster to test everything and no problems there.  The RHD conversion of the dash and cluster is quite good, the park brake leaves a lot to be desired though.  Also the climate control and vaccum system is quite a mess.

Once i had her mobile and all the spare parts sorted, I dismantled the front clip.  I removed all the chrome work (bumper, grille, headlights etc) removed the bonnet and outer/inner guards, and made some angle iron stays to brace the radiator support to the firewall. 

I've removed the air con compressor and don't intend to look at it again, maybe later down the track.  I've been a busy bee with the front guards, doing some welding repairs and amateur panel beating.  I've just about finished getting them fairly straight, and will be moving onto a rough patch on the bonnet shortly. 

I'd like to get the front end fairly straight and spray it in a satin black, the panels are sitting on a timber frame i made for them and i'll store them like this till further notice.  Once I save some cash after christmas, I'll be removing the motor and placing it on an engine stand for a spruce up, new fuel pump, reco water pump etc.  Whilst the engine is out, i'll remove the auto and have it gone over by an automatic place here in Perth that has some experience with the jetaway hydramatic.

Whilst engine and auto are both vacant, I'll be paying some attention to the chassis and firewall.  I'll be cleaning up where the RHD steering box has been nested into the RH chassis rail (rough welding), and fixing a few cracks in the factory welds around crossmember etc. 

My efforts and funds have been stretched over a Ford F100 that is my daily driver, a Bronco and an old timber speedboat... i've finished working on the F100 for the time being, so focus is back on the caddy!

Right now i'll just keep myself busy with straightening out the front guards and bonnet =)

Chris

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
Re: My 1962 fleetwood epic
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »
Thanks Chris. Nice story.

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline kittykadjaz

• DeVille Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »
Hi Chris,

Looks like you have already made quite a start. It will be great to read your progress and please post some photos as you go along. Pictures always add that extra bit.

Look forward to reading more.

Jaz
Jaz
1961 6-window Sedan DeVille
Central Coast, NSW

Offline 62Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:59:10 PM »
Cheers Guys.  I'm nearly done with the front guards and bonnet.  They're not perfect by any means but straight enough for the look i'm after.  One of the guards was a lot worse than the other, both have had previous sheet metal repairs.  I've welded up a large tear in one of them and filled over the previous patches that have been cropped in, and just tried to tidy them up a bit.  Also cleaned up a very rough brazing repair on the leading edge of the bonnet and filled over that, has come up pretty good.  All the imperfections still visible have made the decision to spray it satin black pretty certain haha.. i'm planning on accenting some of the lines of the body/fins with red also, but satin black will be the primary colour.  The upper structural channel on both guards (where the guard bolts to the inner guard sheet metal, directly under where the bonnet meets the guard) have some rust internally.  I'll be cutting out the bad channel and welding in a replacement of some sort, then painting the internal surfaces of both guards, and the underside of the bonnet.  I'll give them a few more coats of primer externally and a good sand, then see what kind of result i can get with some satin black acrylic. 

Offline 62Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:23:40 PM »
just as the number of views in this thread hits 62.. haha

I know the majority of you may cringe at this paint scheme, i'll see what i think when i'm done.  The 2 tone will follow the same line down full length of the body, with black bonnet roof and boot.  The colours are jet black and monza red, although the red looks like an orange in the photo

Chris

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
Will stand out, that is for sure.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline macka

• Club Member
  • Fleetwood Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
Holy crap  :o.............and I thought my black '59 Fleetwood stood out. Can't wait to see it all back together.
Good work, Chris.
Black 1960 62 series Coupe

Offline 62Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »
Latest progress

Offline 59lend

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:09:31 AM »
Chris do you still have the 1962 fleetwood ..

Regards Len