Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
  • My Name: Bob
Hello there!
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
G'day mates. My name is Bob Hoffmann. I'm a very long time member of the CLC. I live in Santa Clara, Ca. which is near San Francisco. I'm planning to come to Oz next month. I'm looking forward to see my mates there, see some of my cars that have been imported , go to Wang AND make some new mates. I'll be putting a general  add in the message board for parts & literature I have for sale. I could pack some small bits in my luggage or I have no problem shipping parts. If one of you lives in Alice Springs, I'll be there for about 2 days before going to the rock. I'd love to meet you. Feel free to email me. Thanks.
 Cheers, Bob

Offline Peter-P

• Administrator
  • DeVille Member
  • Just keeping a lid on it.
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum Bob.

Unfortunately the Alice is a long way from Sydney and I'm not sure if anyone has a Caddy up there  :bolt:

But there should be plenty of  :cheers: and  :drunk:

peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »
Peter & others,
I drink Jim Beam bourbon. Is it sold in Oz??  :fingerx:
Bob

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 05:22:56 PM »
Probably is, but as I have given up Alcohol, and never was a spirit drinker, it never worried me.

I even went through the Jim Beam Factory in USA, after getting lost trying to find a Gas Station, and even though the tasting was free, I couldn't stand the stuff.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline 58Seville

• 62 Series Member
  • New member!
  • My Name: Glen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
G'day Bob, great to hear that you're making the trip down under for the Wangaratta meet. I won't be there but I want to wish you all the best. You'll be pleased to hear that Jim Beam bourbon is sold widely in Australia including the normal white label, Jim Beam Black, Devil's Cut, Jim Beam Rye, 1795, Small Batch and the 12 year old Signature Craft. There are pretty heavy penalties for drink driving in Australia however so if you're having a drink, either go easy or don't drive!

Cheers,

Glen
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (13 of 855)

Offline 54Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
  • Vic Member
  • My Name: Steve
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
 :thumb: G'day Bob
We will be looking forward to meeting you in Wang next month, as It happens myself and 5 mates are doing a boys trip to the states in April next year, staying at Santa Monica then onto Vegas for Viva Las Vegas car show followed by a few days in San Fran.
we may be able to catch up and have Jim Beam with you on the other side of the pond.
if you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion on accommodation, we are split on where to stay Union Square or fisherman's Wharf.

Regards Steve

Offline caddy-carazy

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »

if you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion on accommodation, we are split on where to stay Union Square or fisherman's Wharf.

Regards Steve

Better have deep pockets for all things San Francisco. I was there in 2013 and things were three times the norm.

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:42 PM »
G'day Bob, great to hear that you're making the trip down under for the Wangaratta meet. I won't be there but I want to wish you all the best. You'll be pleased to hear that Jim Beam bourbon is sold widely in Australia including the normal white label, Jim Beam Black, Devil's Cut, Jim Beam Rye, 1795, Small Batch and the 12 year old Signature Craft. There are pretty heavy penalties for drink driving in Australia however so if you're having a drink, either go easy or don't drive!

Cheers,

Glen
Glen,
 That's great news! Sorry we won't meet in Wang. I'll be riding with someone else most of the time.
 Cheers, Bob

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »
Better have deep pockets for all things San Francisco. I was there in 2013 and things were three times the norm.
Not sure where you went, but I was there in 2002, when the Aussie Dollar was worth US$0.50, 2008 when the GFC was in freefall, and our Dollar bought US$0.68, and in 2011, when it was about US$0.80, and I thought everything was reasonably priced.

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »
We will be looking forward to meeting you in Wang next month, as It happens myself and 5 mates are doing a boys trip to the states in April next year, staying at Santa Monica then onto Vegas for Viva Las Vegas car show followed by a few days in San Fran.
we may be able to catch up and have Jim Beam with you on the other side of the pond.

Regards Steve
G'day mate,
I just talked to my travel agent. He said stay in union square because it's a central location. You can then go to the other various places you want to see. HTH.
I live about 40 miles south of SF. WE can talk about tentative plans at Wang.
 Cheers, Bob

Offline 54Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
  • Vic Member
  • My Name: Steve
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
 :cheers: Cheers Bob
thanks for the feedback, looking forward to meeting you in Wang.

Steve

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »

Cheers,

Glen
G'day Glen,
Another question, do they sell 7-Up in Oz? If not, what's close?
 Thanks, Bob

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
Haven't seen it for years.  I used to drink it in the ''50's and 60's, before I was old enough to drink Beer.   

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
I thought you were old enough to drink beer in the 40's. LOL
 Bob :grin:

Offline caddy-carazy

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 01:54:01 AM »
Not sure where you went, but I was there in 2002, when the Aussie Dollar was worth US$0.50, 2008 when the GFC was in freefall, and our Dollar bought US$0.68, and in 2011, when it was about US$0.80, and I thought everything was reasonably priced.

Don't know where you stayed either then Bruce or what time of year which makes a huge difference. Our tab for three nights in the Holiday Inn was $1150 including all the tax's in September. That was for a room that was a full block away on the other side of the road. Difficult when your disabled with all your luggage.  Even breakfast was $15.    After visiting Bob Hoffman our 4th night in the US and many nights after were $60 to $100.

Bob. The nearest thing here (I don't know about Aus) is just plain lemonade. Its nothing like your lemonade in the US.