Author Topic: Importation blues...  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Whitepink59

• Eldorado Member
  • I have been cursed by a coupe devil...
  • Mood: Happy (always)
Importation blues...
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
An old friend's father is taking a trip State-side.  He wants to buy a '59 Caddy over there, take it sightseeing, then ship it to Australia and keep it forever.  He has asked for my advice.  I don't think he has any experience with classic cars.  To me, it spells disaster and I will probably try to talk him out of it.

Does anyone have any experience that I could pass to this hapless chap?
1959 Coupe DeVille, white with pink interior
1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 convertible, orange over brown, 351W and FMX

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: Importation blues...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »
The best idea is to purchase the car before departing.

Arrange the shipping and everything else involved with the importing before departure as well.

I did, and never had a problem in 2008 with my'72 Eldorado Convertible.

Bruce. >:D

Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline PeterR

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »
I wonder why people are still importing 59 Cadillacs - there must be 10,000 or so here already. Approx 500 convertibles, 6,000 Coupes and 3 or 4 thousand sedans, etc. (all my estimates, and no exaggeration). The 59 Cad is still an extremely distinctive car and an all-time styling icon, but not exactly rare any more. Maybe looking for one here in Australia is a safer option?

Offline Doug Lemon

• Eldorado Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:55:49 PM »
I think it still comes down to price...People think (and I agree) that they can land one here at a better price then what is available here.I often recommend to people to have a look at what is available here.I remember when I sold a car one fellow said exactly that...he can do better bringing his own car in.
Doug  in Sydney NSW
1954 Series 60 Sedan

1969 Superior Ambulance

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:03:58 AM »
I think it still comes down to price...People think (and I agree) that they can land one here at a better price then what is available here.I often recommend to people to have a look at what is available here.I remember when I sold a car one fellow said exactly that...he can do better bringing his own car in.

Yes. But as you know Doug, importing is not for everyone. I have imported around 10 cars myself, but would still pay a premium of 2 or 3 grand for a car that's already here. It's easier, and you know exactly what you're getting.
So there's really no definitave answer is there? Some import, some buy local, but it all just comes down to personal choice.

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.