Author Topic: Freight recommendations  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Chief

• 62 Series Member
Re: Freight recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Bruce, however thankfully the old girl is pretty much as it was when it left the factory. When it comes to most parts I mean that literally! Nothing hiding under a dodgy respray which is good. 
Into classics, not plastics

1949 Cadillac Club Coupe Model 61

Offline John Tozer

• DeVille Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 12:52:38 PM »
...and don't forget that Sydney LOVES demurrage costs! They're the costs for your car/container sitting around on the dock waiting for customs/AQIS to do what they do with it and/or waiting for you to come pick it up. Make sure you have an import agent at this end, that you communicate with them only in writing (email) and that you are ready IMMEDIATELY to collect the car that it clears Customs/AQIS. That's when demurrage costs become your reponsibility and they can be HUGE if you dally in taking the car off the docks.

...and if you bring parts in in the car or the container they will have to be unpacked for Customs/AQIS inspection (then they very probably won't even look at them). Make sure they are then re-packed in your car or container. Mine ended up in the back seat of a V12 Lincoln that, fortunately, also came to Canberra ....about a week later.

Budget for steam cleaning (about $250), "Valuation charges" of $425 if you can't produce a real Invoice (Paypal and Ebay receipts not accepted .....but the "valuation" will just happen to be the same amount as the Ebay amount!) and GST on the shipping cost component of the transaction (assuming your car is more than 30 years old and avoids GST on the purchase price.

Good luck,

John Tozer

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
Even if the car is over 30 years old, GST still has to be paid on the Aussie value after converting the US Dollars to Australian Dollars.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Doug Lemon

• Eldorado Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »
Thanks Bruce  I just read that and thought   have I missed something  have I paid something I shouldn't of... I have used Patricks to pick up my container  they have been pretty good.Anything that went wrong was not of their doing. They picked up the container the minute it was available  and they let me be there when it was opened.
Doug  in Sydney NSW
1954 Series 60 Sedan

1969 Superior Ambulance

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
The only tax that the over 30 year old cars are free from is the Sales Tax.

The extra payments are a killer when it comes to the containerising.   Shipping isn't that bad, but when one gets the bill for Fumigation, Melbourne Pore Deepening Fee, etc, it can add up to many hundreds of dollars that weren't expected.

A friend had a car coming in from New Jersey to Melbourne, and we made it clear that I needed at least two day's notice before the container contents were being released so we could get flights from Tassie booked, and the Ferry for the return, with the car.

By the time we got the car, the "Free Time" for the container had expired, by 2 days, simply because the Customs had taken it for X-Raying, then returning it to the wharf, then the Shipping Agent was tardy in emptying it.   Plus, when it was steam cleaned, the operator destroyed the flexible vent tubes, and filled the air cleaner (Oil Bath type) with water.   But, we did get it started, and to the boat on time.

When my container arrived here, no such problems, but because the agents Quarantine area was out of action, the container had to be moved back to the wharf, 200 yards ($100.00), unloaded under Quarantine oversight over a three day period for 3 hours at a time ($300.00) then moved back to the Agency, another 200 yards ($100.00) for signing off the Container.

Plus, because the wharf was a working port, I couldn't have any more that one assistant to help me.

No matter how much one plans things to the n'th degree, there is always something to toss a spanner in the works.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline John Tozer

• DeVille Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
Bruce,

Correct again! Don't know where my head was (maybe I confused what I had to pay with what I told the wife????).

My bills were initially:

"Hi John just quick note for you records valuation fee $475-00 GST $865-26 AQIS 1st inspection $72.50 Total that I will pay to customs so far $1412.76."

Regards,

John Tozer

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
    • Cadillac LaSalle Club of Australia
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »
My container arrived at Port Kembla on the 5th and I'm stilllllll waiting for AQIS to have a look at it. Who do I have to bribe for them to hurry the f*** up.
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor