Author Topic: importing caddy's with A/C  (Read 7396 times)

Offline eptcb

• 62 Series Member
importing caddy's with A/C
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »
HI I just bought a 60 caddy cpe, from Tennessee.    Currently in the process of arranging shipping.   Sent off my Import approval application
, 26 business days (5 weeks ) back log.   When I got a quote off one shipper he started talking about wheteher the A/C was R12 or R134a.   Apparently the R12 units have the bad CFC gases which is now illegal in Australia   I phoned some Govt environment agency PH 0262741373 and spoke to a lady and she said confirmed the  R12 are illegal.   She said all the CFC compmenents and CFC hgas had to be removed in the US.   My friend imported a 60 Caddy and all they did with his one was cut the A/C hose in the US.   Can anyone shed any light on this or had any experience themselves.   

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: importing caddy's with A/C
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:59:57 PM »
G'day eptcb,

Congratulations on your purchase.

Regarding the A/C, yes, no matter it be R12 or R134a, or Freeze 12, it has to be evacuated before the vehicle departs USA.

The Department of Road Safety will simply look at the date of the manufacture, and no matter if it was converted to R134a, it doesn't matter.   My '72 Eldo had been converted to R134a, but as the car was, according to their books, it was built with R12, even though I had receipts for it being converted to R134a.   It cost something like US$27.50 to get the gas removed and the Certificate issued.

Now, you cannot simply let the gas go by opening a valve, or cutting a hose, or removing the Compressor, as it has to be certified by an authorised A/C place that the system has been correctly evacuated of all gas.   The Authorities are getting tougher now.   Plus, cutting the hose could lead to, if caught, being charged with some anti-pollution charges.   Not worth the risk.

I was in an Importers place in 2008, and there was a '67 Chev there with only the stuff on the firewall, no Compressor, hoses, condenser, etc, but it still had to have the certificate of removal.   The car couldn't be released until the owner had the right paperwork.

The cars that are getting imported with their A/C intact (filled with gas) are being imported by organisations that have the correct permits to import, and when I inquired about getting a permit, I was told that the cost was $3,500.00, so it was cheaper to get it evacuated.

As an aside, it would pay you to purchase a new Compressor and Drier in USA before the car is containerised and put it in the back, as they are dear here.   Getting the new Compressor will save you the hassles of trying to clean out the old one, and most probably the old one will need its' seals replaced, unless it is working perfectly now.

Plus, when you get the system re-gassed, it will pay you to have all the flexible hoses replaced with new R 134a compatible hoses.

Bruce. >:D

Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
    • Cadillac LaSalle Club of Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:14:36 AM »
When I imported my 64 in '07 there was a pre-filled certificate available on the DOTARS website. Simply print, give to the technician to certify that he's depleted the gas, then fax back to The Man to put with your application for import.
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline eptcb

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »
thx for all the info.  RE getting the certificate would you have the details of who you got to do the work and issue the certificate.    Does the whole thing cost about US$27.50 to get the gas removed and the Certificate issued.    The shiiping company Im looking at using said that I should nt worry about it cause they rarely check the A/C units and if I get hit with extra costs he'd pay for it.   The shipping company is Peter smith from lilydale PH 9737 6050 eascoast mustangs .(  the american counterpart is one world auto shipping).

Im also dealing with whole sale dealer centre.com he told me that I should take care of the A/C in the USA.   NOt sure who Im going with at tyhe moment.   RE buying the A/C unit in the US, I did think about it but then thought Id be able to buy some sort of unit here  albeit it would be differnt.   Has anyone bought a unut in the US and if so how much was it.

Cheers Gerry

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »
I replaced the Compressor and Drier in my Eldo when it was in USA, and had it converted to R134a, and from memory, the Compressor cost $150.00.   Not sure if it was a rebuilt one, but it works perfectly.

If your Shipping Company is telling you it is okay, and they will pay any fines, then get it down in writing, and signed and countersigned, witnessed and witnessed again.   East Coast Mustangs might just have the correct authorisations to import AC fitted vehicles, but R12 is still illegal to import.   So there could be problems.

Customs is getting tougher and tougher, and if paperwork isn't correct, you could be hit with the cost of storeage in Australia until it is cleared.

My Certificate did cost US$27.50, but that was in Auburn NY, and a friend I was staying with took the car to get it done whilst I was working on the container.   Could have been "Mate's Rates"   But, at least I got it done, and no problems whatsoever.

Offline pegleg

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
I HAD A FORM FROM MY SHIPPING AGENT EMAILED AND FILLED OUT BY THE CAR YARD WHERE I GOT MY 60 CADDIE FROM SAYING THAT THE UNIT HAD BEEN DEGASSED. THEY DEGASSED THE UNIT AND REMOVED THE SHERATOR VALVES. I REPLACED THE VALVES AND THE TX VALVE  WHICH YOU CAN GET ON EBAY CHEAP. WHICH SUITED R134 OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED. RUNS LIKE A HAPPY ESKIMO. WE TESTED WITH NITROGEN AND THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO LEAK ON THE RETURN SIDE UNDER PRESSURE BUT IT DOESN'T WHEN ITS RUNNING. I WOULD CHANGE THE TX VALVE AND STICK SOME R134 IN THE SUCKER AND THROW ON A JUMPER. MINE RAN PERFECT AND IS STILL FREEZEING MY TITS OFF AFTER JUST DOING THOSE 2 THINGS. AND MY CAR VIRTUALLY SAT IDLE FOR 20 YEARS BEFORE I GOT IT. IF YOUR IN SYDNEY CONTACT ME IF YOU WISH TO HAVE A LOOK OR IF YOU NEED HELP
neil kemp
sydney
1960 flattop

Offline Whitepink59

• Eldorado Member
  • I have been cursed by a coupe devil...
  • Mood: Happy (always)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
I thought the reason R134 or other modern gases are required is because the other gases contain CFCs, so are bad for the ozone layer.  If that is right, I don't see how it helps to insist on 'de-gassing' an old system before it comes to Australia which, I presume, involves releasing the old gas (CFCs and all) into the atmosphere.  And you can bet that, eventually, we will find a problem with the new gases.  In which case, wouldn't it be better just to let the old cars with the old gas keep using it until they need to be replaced?  It's not like releasing the gases on the other side of the world will protect us from degradation of the ozone layer in Australia.  Or have I missed something?
1959 Coupe DeVille, white with pink interior
1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 convertible, orange over brown, 351W and FMX

Offline muzza427

• Fleetwood Member
    • Murray's Cadillac Page
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 09:25:47 PM »
Recovered R-12 can be actually recycled and resold by licensed agents for use on older refrigeration units. In the U.S. there is strict EPA rules governing the reclamation, recycling and resale. Visit the EPA website if you're interested.

When I imported my 66 Convertible in 2007 it had a fully functioning A/C system with R-12 on the compressor for originality but receipts for a conversion to R134. All I had to do was as outlined above, get the system evacuated, certified by a licensed "recycler" and pay the recycle fee. All this was done before it left the US. Now here's the kicker, once the car arrived in Fremantle, even with all the correct documentation, I still had to pay a A$50.00 fee to some Agency (can't find the receipt, sorry), for "later recycling or release of the refrigerant"!!

At the time I thought "what the heck" and paid. There was a 6 week delay in getting anythiing through Quarantine washbay and with delay of any kind you would go to the bottom of the pile. Demurrage, damage and all the other thoughts that went through my mind at the time made that decision an easy one. In doing this, the agent got my car out in a day, unstuffed in a Certified Quarantine yars, cleaned and released for $350.00 (there was mud under the rear wheel wells). Money well spent.

I know it's different in each port and I strongly recommend to anyone importing to ensure you have a decent agent - they can save you a fortune.

Murray ;D
1960 Coupe DeVille

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 12:33:45 AM »
I thought the reason R134 or other modern gases are required is because the other gases contain CFCs, so are bad for the ozone layer.  If that is right, I don't see how it helps to insist on 'de-gassing' an old system before it comes to Australia which, I presume, involves releasing the old gas (CFCs and all) into the atmosphere.  And you can bet that, eventually, we will find a problem with the new gases.  In which case, wouldn't it be better just to let the old cars with the old gas keep using it until they need to be replaced?  It's not like releasing the gases on the other side of the world will protect us from degradation of the ozone layer in Australia.  Or have I missed something?
When you get the certificate from the AC guy in the States, it means that he has removed the gas, and contained it in accordance with regulations.

They aren't allowed to simply cut the lines, or release it into the atmosphere, as if they are caught, they get fined heavily.   Even Wrecking Yards have to properly remove the refrigerant before the vehicle is placed in the yard.

Offline V16 Dreaming

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »
Yeah, not really sure why rules only apply to imported vehicles. I mean what's the difference with a 20 year old local car cruidsing around on R 12 [ from memory thelaw necessitating change to Rchanged

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »
Any 20-year-old car running around with R12, if it was here already is not a problem.   My '70 Ranchero Squire has R12, but if I need to re-charge it in the future, which could be soon, I will have to go with what is available at the time, of re-charging, and convert it to whatever is now.

Anything being imported now, has to comply with the current regulations, and that means, no R12.   Plus, I think that all pressure systems have to be evacuated before shipping, as a OH&S or other requirement.   Any inflammable or pressure vessels have to be handled in a different way, and it is not possible to separate an A/C unit from a car for correct carriage and transportation without completely removing it intact, or converting it to a pressure negative, or zero pressure unit.   Hence the requirement for removal.

I do know that it costs around $3,500.00 to get a permit to import Refrigerant, and I wouldn't be surprised if all imported new vehicles come in un-gassed.   I know that a lot of A/C units in new cars are fitted at the Dealer before delivery to the customer.

Offline fab60cad

• DeVille Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:44 PM »
Got my car bout one month ago. Had no probs what so ever re a/c unit. I did have a letter from a mechanic that the unit had been degassed. Don't know how true that was. Thx foryour replies

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
That is definitely why you had no trouble.

Offline mrdestiny

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
I explained to the authorities that my '72 had been converted to R134a gas, but they still wanted it evacuated, and certified.