Author Topic: importing cars  (Read 2205 times)

trent

importing cars
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »
hey everybody im in the process of buying a cadillac from the usa at the moment an i am lookinf for guidance as to how i get it over here? i dont no where to start! cheers my email is karizma_saps@hotmail.com apreciate it   trent[/b][/b]

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
Re: importing cars
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 07:57:08 PM »
Hi Trent.

Some of it will depend on where you live. You may want to use a shipper who is in the same state as you.
The monthly magazine "Just Cars" is a good place to start. Quite a number of companies in there advertise shipping. A brief word of experience...... let's say they quote you $2,500 for shipping. You will end up paying more. You want to know the TOTAL, including all duties, GST, cleaning for quarantine, etc. etc. The number you want to finmd out from them is how much are you going to end up paying, ALL UP, to take delivery.
Depending on the car value and quality, the total should be somewhere between $3,000 and $5,500 Aussie dollars. Don't forget, you also have to get the car to where your shipper ships from (probably LA). So that can cost you an extra of up to about $1,000 US dollars depending on where the car is being transported from in the USA.

I hope that helps you.
Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline eldo59

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:46:20 PM »
Trent,
Go to the index in Just Cars and look for Smith International. This is the mob I used to ship my car over last year. He gave me a total price excluding inland transport, steamcleaning and/or fumigation if needed.
It was pretty easy. I can't believe people are paying dealers anywhere up 300% more for a car just for the luxury of it already being in the county.

Offline Doug Lemon

• Eldorado Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 06:27:47 PM »
Trent    give me  a call      Doug   0412 239826   (in Sydney)
Doug  in Sydney NSW
1954 Series 60 Sedan

1969 Superior Ambulance

Offline ronw

• Club Member
  • Fleetwood Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Hi All,

Based on eldo59's comments, I just used Smith International to bring my '59 coupe from the US. I can thoroughly recommend them. The service was great - and no hidden extras.

Ron
Ron in Sydney
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado