Author Topic: wiper arm comes off when its on  (Read 1249 times)

Offline fab60cad

• DeVille Member
wiper arm comes off when its on
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »
HI
I ve got a 1960 coupe deville. 
Its still left hand driver. 

When the wipers are on, the driver's side wiper arm works for two to three wiper motions but then where the arm meets the round plate where the arm sits on the spindle, the whole arm and blade turn 90 degrees.    See attached photo wiper arm off plate
If i was to leave the wiper to move up and down on the windscreen it would scratch the windscreen because the metal part of the wiper arm would be on the windscreen not the rubber blade.

Hope this makes sense, I tried to explain it best I could.   

1)      I dont know if I need a new black plastic grommet that sits in the end of the wiper arm or a new arm completely or if  I have to replace the round plate with the spindle (this is on the wiper grill area on the bonnet. see attached photo wiper plate & spindle

2)     If someone has changed their wiper blades on a 60 caddy, can you please tell me what wiper blades you used .

3)   On the metal reflector blade which is on my wiper arm its says"Must point up when parked" with an arrow.  I have one pointing down and one pointing up when the wipers are in the rest position.  Is this correct or should they both be pointing up.  See attached photo wiper metal reflector 

PS Im hoping to fix the wiper arm problem before sunday because I have my nieces wedding this sunday and need the car, its forecast to rain 

Cheers 

Offline MY 59

• DeVille Member
Re: wiper arm comes off when its on
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »
sound like you need new rubber guides, yours must be worn and slipping off the 'cam'

be careful threading everything back on, the threads are fine and easily stripped.
I got replacement wiper blades off ebay from the US
Wiper Blade 15" - Antique Vintage Styling - Silver Finish - Trico Classic 33-150
'59 Sedan Deville
'67 ZA Ford Fairlane