Author Topic: I'm not sure Ive done the right thing...  (Read 1995 times)

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
I'm not sure Ive done the right thing...
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »
Hi all,
Owned a yellow 77 Coupe DeVille in Virginia in 1998/99, always regretted not taking it back to Australia. Tracked this one down - same colour 2 years younger - from a 2010 YouTube video, after I missed a blue one in Adelaide. Picked it up last week, new blue slip and rego, I'm waiting for the correct sized US rego plates before I post a picture.
Provenance is via 'Montana Muscle & Classics' apparently from a deceased estate - 26,900 miles. Imported in 2012, and ADR conversions done 2012/13. But then stood outside not under cover until Jan 16, so there has been some sun and rain damage, and a mouse under the hood. I have the original delivery papers, its a California car delivered to 'Bewley Allan Cadillac' in Alahambra, which is NE Los Angeles, cost $13,235 ($12,000 Aus, which bought you a Fairlane 500, but no BMW or Mercedes).
Runs well, but rubber parts are very hard and fragile. I don't think the engine has had new fluids or filters since before 2010, and it will take some TLC to get back to 'normal'. I hope it polishes up well, but there is rust in the edges of the hood, and that needs to be done.
I'm planning on being at the 21 Feb meet and greet, and we are booked in to the Wangaratta run. I need to pick the brains of all you guys.

Regards,
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project
2014 Subaru Tribeca - dd
2006 Fairmont V8 - the 'other' V8
1996 E220 Cabriolet - belong 'im spouse
1989 Capri Turbo - gone to Canberra

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: I'm not sure Ive done the right thing...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »
G'day John,

Pick away.

I can relate regarding "the one that got away", or "shoulda", but history is just that, history.

The rubber parts are obtainable, and one source of good parts is All American Auto Parts in Ballarat.   They can supply most parts for our cars.

Bruce :devil:

PS.   Post pictures, both good and bad.   Pictures tell thousands of words.
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:17:05 PM »
Just posted a hood pad for sale, which reminded me that I should give an update.

The new licence plates are now on, which has caused me to do a bit of R/R of both front and back bumpers: they are huge, excellent chrome, and shine up well. Some damage, but I reckon she could hit a Mack truck and not notice. But the backing pieces both front and rear have crumbled - typically this happens about year 15 - and they are cheap as chips in the USA. I located reasonably priced Aussie replacements from Automotive Technolgies in Victoria, and they are waiting to go on. The original colour was silver, to match the bumpers (not body colour).

Next was the radio antenna, which made noises every time I started her. Not helped by no radio - sitting in the boot, took me ages to find the knobs and fittings, and finally turn it off. The antenna does not rise: even though online advice indicates the nylon cable can be replaced, its far too difficult and fiddly. At present a $12 manual aerial does the job while I either locate a 'new' original, or make a Holden version fit. Any advice out there?

Then there is the engine. Remember this car has been sitting idle for 6 years. After putting on 300 miles to get it really hot and work the bits and pieces, both oil and transmission seals now only leak a 'little bit'. I carry spare oil and Dexron, just in case. But no kickdown, and no opening secondaries. So the carby had to come off, a major task in itself because the fuel line refused to separate, and I bent it getting it off. Once the carby was off, I realised the valve covers were leaking, so they both came off - another major task requiring (amongst other things) the A/C compressor to be lifted up 2" and forward 2". That meant loosening the PS pump - of which only one of 5 bolts was tight, the rest finger loose. I lost a bit of confidence and time, as I then went over the car and engine torquing all nuts and bolts to specification - lost 3 days. Valve covers now back on and painted GM blue, carby back on and I had it re-anodised - kickdown problem was the mechanical part of the electrical switch. Only problem is the fuel line (Ive ordered a SS one), and vacuum lines, so car not ready for Wangaratta.

Next is the interior, and I will also have the TH400 properly and professionally serviced. If the leak is not the pan gasket, then I want the transmission out, and both main oil seals replaced.

See you at the Caddy Rally.
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project
2014 Subaru Tribeca - dd
2006 Fairmont V8 - the 'other' V8
1996 E220 Cabriolet - belong 'im spouse
1989 Capri Turbo - gone to Canberra

Offline Caddy49

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
  • My Name: Doug
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »
Hi .... Had some trouble getting the t/400 pan to seal  finished up getting the expensive neoprene pan gasket...this fixed it.....the pans are thin and distort along the bolt line....my second car that I'm building will have a cast alloy pan  ..this defiantly wont distort...they also leak out of the shift lever shaft  ..if you have the pan off will pay to replace it as its very nearly impossible the remove from the outside if the case.....can buy a special tool  but its expensive ...unless someone on the forum will lend it to you