Author Topic: Towbars and caddys  (Read 1019 times)

dodgy lee

Towbars and caddys
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
8) Thinking of putting a nasty towbar on the back of the 60, any ideas, Bruce you may be able to help me here. My problem is i want to take both of my cars to the Summersun festival in Perth next year, so the only choice I have is to tow one of them on my car trailer (I race my other car @ nostalgia drags) kroozing the Perth streets and Big Als Poker run in the Caddy and then going fast in the Valiant sounds like a T riffic week. A friend of mine who is an engineer owes me a favour, so getting one built shouldn't be an issue, its more the weight issue and rear drag (shes fairly low with people in the back)

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: Towbars and caddys
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:48:46 PM »
G'day Lee,

Fitting up a tow bar isn't rocket science.

You will just have to bend the cross-bar/tube, sufficiently to clear the Exhaust Pipes, in such a way that you can still get the ends to attach to brackets that will have to be bolted to the Rear Bumper Bar Bolts in the Chassis.

You will just have to check on how much clearance there is between the bottom centre of the bar, and the Fuel Tank Filler neck so that the cross-tube that the Tongue will bolt to can successfully go without being visible when the Tongue is removed.

Incorporating a removable Tongue will enable the Number Plate from being covered when not in use.

Plus, I would be either running pump-up Shocks, or a Load Levelling lever system on the Trailer Coupling.

Bruce.
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)