Author Topic: Buying from overseas  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
    • Cadillac LaSalle Club of Australia
Buying from overseas
« on: November 04, 2007, 03:53:59 PM »
Here's a quick question for those of you that have bought cars from America.

What's the safest and most prefered method of transferring funds when buying a car if you can't be there in person? And who picked up your car from the seller, or did you ask the seller to drop it off at the freight depot?

Rick
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline ronw

• Club Member
  • Fleetwood Member
Re: Buying from overseas
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:49:33 AM »
Hi Rick,

I took the big leap (buying from a well established dealer) and wired the money direct to their account. Not the recommended way for sure...

I used the following company to inspect another car I was looking at. They seemed professsional and the report they did was comprehensive. They also do purchasing - you can wire your money to them and they will take delivery of the car for you.

I didn't use this service - so I can't actually recommend it - but it may be worth following up.

http://www.buyerservicesinternational.com/

Good luck.

Ron
Ron in Sydney
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:35:14 AM »
Thanks Ron, I'll check it out.

Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:34:08 AM »
Quick update, I'm using http://www.carchex.com to do the inspection. They charge about $190 USD, which was probably the cheapest I saw.

The seller has sent me about 40 photos, all very detailed, so I've got a fair idea of the condition. I've put a deposit on the car and am just waiting for the inspection to get done then I'll organise for it to be picked up.

I'm very happy with the the process so far, seem to be going smoothly. We'll see what happens when the red tape starts!
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:37:03 PM »
Well Ron, I ended up doing an international wire transfer as well. It seems just about every form of payment has some pro's and con's, but wire transfer is definatelly quicker. There's still a trust factor no matter how you pay for it.

All up I've got over 100 photos of the car, detailing just about every inch of the thing. I'm pretty happy with it. There's still a few things to do, but overall it's a great driver. I've also got an independant report in hand, and a copy of the title, so all is going well.

Nick Smith is organising the docs and shipping. I didn't shop around, but rather went with a known trusted shipper.

Rick

PS. I bought "1000 Miles To Graceland" on dvd the other day. Have you seen it? Great movie. Kurt Russell drives a red '59 Caddy like yours, except it has a white roof.
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline ronw

• Club Member
  • Fleetwood Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 09:02:28 AM »
Hi Rick, Sounds like you have done everything possible apart from going over there. I did the same and I am happy with the way things worked out. Bummer that you're not going to see it for a while.

Haven't seen the movie - but I'll look out for it.
Ron in Sydney
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »
Sorry my mistake, it's "3000 Miles To Graceland" (not 1000 miles). Like I said, well worth a look.

Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

caddyman

Re: Buying and Selling from overseas
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:31:25 AM »

I have exported cars and car parts for years I  help customers  make their transaction go smoothly in the form of great communication and simply making sure the vehicle or the part the customer is seeking is absolutely explained in the condition the car it is in and gets to the buyer. If the customer is looking for a nice restoration project I show photos describing  them and the level of restoration that will be required. If the customers is looking for a nice classic I personally describe to them the condition and take photos with my expensive camera. I also often help  customer on saving money by putting extra parts inside the trunk or boot to save on time and shipping for other projects they or friends are seeking in car clubs. The best thing to consider when purchasing a car from overseas is  method of payment bank wire from buyers bank to sellers bank is the best way or International moneyorder sent priority mail with signature confirmation of receiver. I like to  give a web address so the buyer can get online and see the address and the bank I Bank with on the computer which will be in my bank details I give to to the buyer.   I would suggest becoming good buisness partner in the United States with someone that will assist you in helping you achieve your classic car services you are seeking  overseas at a fair price in the condition described. Customers I deal often are re-sellers, dealers or private owners seeking a package deal on more than one automobile . People that often import cars know they get a better export price when you fill up a container with 2-3 cars verses 1.  It is best to deal with a person that has  a love for classic cars and very familiar with knowing the market and obtaining hard to find cars at  fair prices. Its great to deal with someone that lives close to the port they are shipping from. I live here in the United States in a state called Thomasville Georgia I am only 45 Minutes from the port I use to ship from. The name of the port I use is called Ship Over Seas they ship insured worldwide  check out the website >>  www.shipoverseas.com  When a seller  lives within a few minutes of  the port there want be any expensive transport fees involved to  worry about in regards to time on getting your vehicle  to the port quickly.  The port will handle the paperwork necessary for  transfer of the vehicle to your nearest port in the state or country you live in.  The port will fax and  e-mail you a invoice  giving you a call upon departure of your vehicle to the port showing FROM: the The sellers name and address and location here in the Unites State and the TO: the buyer RECEIVER: name receiving country state and port the vehicle will arrive nearest to a port nearest to your state .  When car arrives they will unload the cargo container with your car and you will be required show identification to sign and receive your classic automobile. I always personally follow-up and call the buyer to make sure vehicle was received.
In return I  gladly appreciate your buisiness again and sending me classic car magazines from yoor country. My e-mail address is Worldwide_trades@yahoo.com