Author Topic: replacing drivers side door glass on 61 cadi coupe DeVille  (Read 454 times)

Offline David Trembath

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
  • Mood: Ok
  • My Name: Young Dave
replacing drivers side door glass on 61 cadi coupe DeVille
« on: April 28, 2021, 01:39:10 PM »
I have a cracked drivers side front window glass on my 1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille & have a new Aussie made glass C/w tape ex." Glass 4 Classics " in Queensland, ready to be installed, all through my insurance policy.
My usual well known  auto glass contact in Adelaide can do the removal & installation but not happily, due to possible difficulties & damage in removing & replacing the chrome  U section that attaches to the 3 sides of the glass. ?
Any advice as to my next  move will be greatly appreciated, thank you.   David Trembath.

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: replacing drivers side door glass on 61 cadi coupe DeVille
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »
G'day David,

They might not be happy, but they should be the best to handle the task, as they should know just what pressure to apply to get the job done.

The problems with replacing the glass in the chrome frame is that in a lot of cases, the new replacement glass is of a different thickness than the original.

If you have a Shop Manual, It may show you the steps needed, and the correct tool to set the glass into the frame, using the correct setting tape.   But, if not, I will see if I can find pictures of the tool.   It is a clamp that presses on both sides of the glass, and then pushes the frame onto the glass.   You can't press the glass on its end, or it could break, but pressure is needed.   If the Glass place is an old one, they should have that tool already.   Plus, I think that you will find that the frame will come apart, as the factory had to assemble it in the first place.

Another way could be to set the glass into the channels using a silicone that is not acetic, as this stuff will cause the frame to internally rust.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)