Author Topic: CASE HARDENING  (Read 2844 times)

Offline John Tozer

• DeVille Member
CASE HARDENING
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
I have had new lay shafts crafted for a gearbox and they need case hardening. Anyone know ehere in Sydney or melbourne I can have this done?

Thanks,

John Tozer

Offline PeterR

• 62 Series Member
Re: CASE HARDENING
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »
Gday John. I know nothing about case hardening but I reckon Jeff McNamara Differentials in Moorabbin (Jeff took the business over from his father more than 20 years ago) could put you on to someone. Phone him at 03 9555 2213. Don't know if he will remember my name, but I've had two LaSalle diffs and my HQ Holden diff in to him over the years. Good luck. Peter Ratcliff

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:42:25 PM »
If the worst comes to the worst, there are a lot of good places down here that can do the job.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline John Tozer

• DeVille Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »
Hi Peter and thanks for the lead. I noticed with interest the reference to Jeff working on your LaSalle diffs. Everyone I have approached around here to look at my'37's (I have two of them - both spiral bevel and both dodgy) has told me politely to go elsewhere. I have therefore adopted a favourite approach of Bruce's - if somone once built the thing, someone else can re-build it again. Ya just gotta be desperate enough and willing to try!

They are strange beasts with brass shims of varying thicknesses to effect a pre-load on them. One side is totally inaccessible without removing all the crown wheel rivets and, even though I've found new bearing cups for them for $20 (the tapered bearings are another matter - last quote I got was US$720 each and there are two of them) and new pinion bearings for $30, I baulk at grinding out those rivets to get at the other side.

The problem is the brass shims wear thin, the whole shebang starts to float around and, ultimately, strips the thread out of the diff centre. Then it's only a case of how long and how loud the bang when it all lets go. They were a bugger of a diff in the big series cars for 36 - 37. They went hypoid in '38 and seemed to fix the problems but that doesn't help me. I really would like someone who can pull one all down for me and rebuild it, even if it is on an "all care, no responsibility" basis. I would still have the number 2 diff as a back-up.

Do you think Jeff might have the skills to come at this sort of job?

Regards and thanks again,

John Tozer

Offline PeterR

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:22:14 PM »
Yes John, Jeff seems to me to be the kind of bloke who could work through any kind of diff, and I would trust him to assess yours (I had forgotten that your series 75 diffs are different altogether). My LaSalle diffs were no problem to him as his father and a few other older-aged guys were working for him at that time, and nothing seemed to be a problem to them. I don't know if he still has that knowldege to call on, but I would trust him to have a go.
I guess you would have read the article in Self Starter a few years back about adapting a C-20 Chev truck rear end to a series 75 Cadillac about your model? If worst comes to worst . . . .
Regards

Peter