Author Topic: 1960 Cadillac Grill  (Read 2203 times)

Offline 60cadillac

• 62 Series Member
1960 Cadillac Grill
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
Hi,
I am in the process of a nut and bolt restoration on my 60 Cadillac series 62 Flattop,
I have restored all the chrome, stainles etc but have hit a wall with regards to restoring the grill, is there a way you can restore the grill without pulling it apart???? has anyone been down this road, I know there is the special tool available to insert the star clips into place, how do you remove the clips behind each bullet easily without damage to bullet and clip also who can you recomend to complete the work as far as re anodising etc any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Gavin Jeffrey
Ballarat.........

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 1960 Cadillac Grill
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »
G'day Gavin,

Sorry to say that to do the job properly, the Grille needs to be dismantled, completely.

There is a tool for replacing the "Bullets", and it is PN. J 8437

Not sure where they can be purchased, but shouldn't be that hard to make.

But, the biggest "killer" is getting everything back in the correct order.  This is where notes and pictures come in VERY handy.   You ARE taking pictures of your restoration, as you pull it to pieces, and putting it back together?

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline 60cadillac

• 62 Series Member
Re: 1960 Cadillac Grill
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:14:56 AM »
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your input, yes taking lots of pictures and documenting the restoration, i will track down the tool and attack this job and see how i go, as each piece needs to be polished before re anodising and this is just not possible when together, i will keep you posted on its process...........Gavin