Author Topic: 1979 Coupe Deville  (Read 3837 times)

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
1979 Coupe Deville
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »
I need help with original colours please. Ive been working on surface rust, and all seems good - but I have no idea what is under the padded cabrio roof. A panel beater mate has recommended removing the padded roof, having a look, and to repair anything thats found. Naturally, I will need a replacement padded roof. There appears to be kits available in the USA. But what is the colour?

Ive matched the body work colour - 54 known as Light Yellow (3085) - but I'm struggling with the Cabrio roof colour. My Build Sheet at Item 78 lists 'top' as 54T - can I assume this is also Light Yellow? And does the T mean Tuxedo (alternative to Elk Grain)? Or does it mean a different colour 'Lt Beige'?

Last, since I cannot find a 'Light Yellow' padded roof for sale (so far), is it possible to get a 'Beige' one and vinyl spray it the right colour?

Hopefully someone out there has done this before me! Any help appreciated.

John
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project since Jan 16
2006 Fairmont V8 - gone to a good home
1996 E220 Cabriolet - for sale, replaced  by...
2013 E250 Cabriolet

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 1979 Coupe Deville
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
G'day John,

I like that you have listed yourself as having an optimistic mood.   You will definitely need it when thinking about the top.

When you remove the original Cabrio padded roof, you will most probably have top get someone to revive you with smelling salts as you will be laying on the floor, in complete disgust and terror in what you find.

Under the vinyl, you will find a layer of 3/16" or 1/4" thick foam, which even though it makes the padded part look expensive and classy, it is the worst of all water absorbent materials known to man.

If you have any bubbling appearing under the vinyl, there will be holes there for sure.

These padded vinyl coverings are the most common cause of vehicle destruction, and in a lot of cases, require MAJOR repairs.

I had an anniversary Fairlane that was a write-off because of the rust at the back of the roof, and a '72 Eldorado Coupe that was nearly as bad.

Bruce. :devil:

Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »
Ohhh! Bruce you worry me when you say that. Especially since PO had this Caddy out in the open for 3 years. Especially since parts of the padded top have minor tears in them - allowing water entry.

Ive carefully felt all over the padded top, trying to find that telltale 'crink' as rusty parts collapse - and maybe I'm optimistic - but havn't found anything. However, I know I need to look, and I'm prepared for the worst.

Got advice on the colours?
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project since Jan 16
2006 Fairmont V8 - gone to a good home
1996 E220 Cabriolet - for sale, replaced  by...
2013 E250 Cabriolet

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
Sorry, but I cannot assist with the colours, as I only have a Shop Manual for 1979, and not the Fisher Body Manual.

As it is, the Shop Manual is 4.5 mm thick, and covers everything mechanical to do with the Chassis and things attached to it.   The Body Manual covers everything to do with the body, as in glass, doors, upholstery, wiring, etc. etc.

If you don't have a Shop Manual, I will let mine go for $50.00, plus postage.   These are invaluable for performing any maintenance on these vehicles.

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
I forgot to mention, but take pictures, lots of pictures.

Both before, during and after tear-down.

Offline Phil Weber

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
  • My Name: Phil
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
Hi John

My car also has the T after the colour number . As you know mine is burgundy which is letter code m  . I think you'll find it stands for "top" and is not a colour code . The number 54 is your colour code which is light yellow.
I don't know why they have those letter codes for the vinyl roofs and pinstripes .

p.s. Thanks for the listing on the air cleaner decal .

Offline willadr

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »
It's a bit difficult to find a bonnet for a vintage car, but you can try antiqueautoparts and gumtree.