Author Topic: Dash pad repairs  (Read 5814 times)

Offline 61convert

• 62 Series Member
Dash pad repairs
« on: November 14, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »
Has anyone got any recommendation on where to get my dash repaired . I am in Melbourne but it would be handy to hear from someone who has experience with restorers .

Lance

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: Dash pad repairs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:25:58 PM »
G'day Lance,

What sort of repairs does it need?

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline 59CoupeDeville

• DeVille Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
Hi Lance,

The Dashboard Doctor, they are in Coburg, but be warned, you must be seated when you read the quote  :o

http://www.dashboarddoctor.com.au/

I can't comment on the quality as I didn't get any work actually done, perhaps someone with experience will comment.

Cheers...Steve

Offline 61convert

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »
Hi Bruce ,
It is the dash pad and it needs re-skinning . The car sat out in the open for quite some time so the vinyl has gone brittle . And Thanks Steve I rang Dash doctor and you were right about sitting down . Somewhere between
4 and 6 hundred depending on actually seeing it . Must have thought I needed a gold one . I imagine the 59 would be more as it is more involved.

Lance.

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »
The price sounds reasonable, especially as the Dash is the most looked-at part of the car when driving.

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
I agree with Bruce. 400 to 600 doesn't seem over the top to me.
That would hardly get you 1 day's labour at any mechanic or such factory. So the dash doctor sounds about the same.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 11:01:07 AM »
Don't forget that there is a terrible lot of preparatory work to be done to obtain the best possible "Base" to work on.

If not, every imperfection will be visible under the Vinyl, or Leather covering, and it will look awful.

Offline 61convert

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 01:14:55 AM »
I am sure you are right . I work in the auto industry and I would get rid of any mechanic that wanted to charge me that for a days work . Perhaps I am just not as rich as you guys ,  or perhaps a just a tight##se .:D  Im really more concerned with quality which is why I asked about experience in the original post . I will have to investigate what they do and their quality .

Lance ;D

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »
How much should a day's labour cost?

I am not rich either, which is one of the reasons why I do 99% of the work myself. But on the rare occassions that I need to pay someone at a business, charge out rates seem to be between 40 and 70 dollars an hour (depending on what the job is).

Therefore, an 8 to 10 hour day works out to between $320 and $750.

Am I missing something?
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »
I do all my own Dash Repairs when I do RHD Conversions, and the reason I do it myself is to save money, and have some control over the completed article.

My philosophy is if someone can do something, then there is no reason that I, with time and patience, and a few mistakes along the way with test pieces, can't teach myself to do the same thing, and once learned, never forgotten.   Until Alzheimer's kicks in that is.

Offline 61convert

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »
I do most of my business work through the trade and don't pay those sort of prices . Maybe I am a bit out of touch with the real world . For my Cadillac , I like you guys do most of my own work ,  partly for economic reasons but mainly because I enjoy the challenge and learning something new . My wife says that I am just too pigheaded to let anything beat me . Most of the time I research what is done and how , then do it myself .

Lance ;D

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I do most of my business work through the trade and don't pay those sort of prices . Maybe I am a bit out of touch with the real world ............... Lance ;D   
I know exactly what you mean.

I was still working in the idea of $10.00 per hour, then I got the shock of my life when I found out just what people these days charge.

Getting a Life (being retired) makes one tend to forget about the real world of pricing of labour.

Offline 61convert

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 11:34:36 PM »

Getting a Life (being retired) makes one tend to forget about the real world of pricing of labour.

Now you are just trying to make me jealous . With three kids still at school I think I can retire at about 225 . About two years after I finish my Caddy with the time I get to put into it .

Lance ;D

maxwell

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 09:43:21 PM »

Are we talking about the same Dashboard Doctors here?

The ones I rang quoted $2000 !!!

If I had of got a quote of $400-600 I reckon that would be as good as Christmas on a stick!

Maybe the involuntary contraction of the sphincter I had on receipt of my quote really was justifiable........

maxwell

Offline 61convert

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 09:04:58 AM »
Maxwell
I am glad I didn't get that quote the old ticker may not have stood it . My quote was over the phone it was a place in Coburg (Melb) I am sure it is the Dashboard Doctor 03 9383 6861 . The guy who sounded like a nice bloke did say however that he couldn't give a proper price until he saw it . The 61 Dash pad is fairly simple compared to some other years . Maybe that accounts for some of the price difference  ??? I just get sick of seeing cash registers spinning in peoples eyes every time you ask for a price on one of these cars . It does tend to make me a bit cynical at times .

Lance ;D