Author Topic: Dash pad repairs  (Read 5817 times)

Offline 59CoupeDeville

• DeVille Member
Re: Dash pad repairs
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 10:19:06 AM »
Hi Lance,

Well, at least you got lots of discussion on this topic, looks like there are a few ways to go, I went for an option that is abit risky but was relatively cheap.

After looking at a couple of grand (at least!!) to reskin my 59 dash, I took a punt on a ebayer that sells the repo skins for them, all up it cost me $200 aussie (that was when the aussie was at 90c :-) )

I took the "long slow boat option" which was about $60 cause to DHL/FEDEX it was gonna cost $600 US :o  Still waiting for it to arrive (eta is 12 weeks as it goes in a container) so can't comment on the quality or fit yet but I thought it was worth a shot at the price.

I checked his site http://stores.ebay.com/Vehicle-Interior-Parts_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm but I couldn't fine a 61 dash, weird how he doesn't have that year, he has most other years/models.

Anyway sounds like the best bet if you don't want to do it yourself, is to remove the dash and take it to them for an exact quote, nothing like getting a phone quote of $600 and then being handed a bill of $2k when you pick it up all finished.

Hope it all works out.

Cheers...Steve

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »
I bought one of those skins for a '64 I had. It worked really well and I was very happy with the result. Not a concourse result, but excellent bang for my buck.

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline 61convert

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 11:26:18 PM »
Thanks Fella's

I have seen those skins but run into the same no 61 problem . Trust me to get the year that no-one makes parts
for . Sounds like Dale had luck with his 64 skin so I hope the 59  works out for you . I think I will have to take it over to Coburg and drop it on the counter and see what they come up with .

Lance ;D

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 08:00:19 PM »
I know how you feel about getting a model of car that nobody makes any replacement parts for.

It all depends on the popularity of something before the retro people will tool up to provide a service, then that model becomes too expensive to purchase as everyone wants one.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline 61convert

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »
You got it Bruce ,
I have a long history of owning cars that are less popular . Usually just after I sell it something happens to make the popularity skyrocket . I had a genuine 68 GT Falcon that owed me $6000 that I wanted to keep but the 68 was definitely the poor cousin of Gts . The guy I sold it to for $8000  knocked back $65 000 last year . Before that I had a 68 Mustang when everyone wanted 65 -66 69- 70 . I had a hard time getting parts  before the explosion of the internet and sold it for what it owed and was lucky to get it . You would have thought Bullitt would have made them popular but Gone in sixty seconds comes out and everyone wants one for Elenor projects . Oh and I have an XC hardtop only to find out most people want XA or XB . Maybe I should research a bit more but I would end buying what I like anyway . As my wife says I am a contrary bas###d .

Lance ;D

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
No matter what you have, once it is sold, it will appear to be more valuable.

I owned a 1955 Chevrolet Convertible, the only one in Australia back in 1976, and sold it in 1980.   Yes, I got $6,000.00 for it.

But, with the money I built a 9 Square Besser Block Garage, concrete floor, 3 phase power, and purchased the wife a replacement 1972 Torana that went like stink.

Working out the cost of building the same Garage now would be in excess of $55,000.00, and the Torana, a one owner vehicle would be around $5,000.00 these days.   So in retrospect, it was a good price at the time.

One must always think ahead.   Backwards is for remembering, and bragging.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)