Author Topic: How do I open the Boot  (Read 2001 times)

57flw

How do I open the Boot
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »
I am in the process of striping my 57 Fleetwood 60 Series ready for a rebuild and cannot get into the boot. When I activate the boot/trunk release switch the solenoid kicks in but then nothing. There is no key lock fitted to the boot. Just a hole.
I am new to this site and this is my first question. I am sure it will not be my last.
Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

Offline Doug Lemon

• Eldorado Member
Re: How do I open the Boot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
If it were me I would do the following
      1. Find a screw driver and stink it in the hole and try and turn it a quarter of a turn.It sounds like you are missing the tumbler section of the lock.The screw driver takes the place of the tail from the tumbler and should turn the locking latch so you can open it.
     2.If no success at that try a can of WD40 and spray it all around the inside of the hole (spray lots).You might have some rust around the locking latch and solenoid.This might free it up a bit
   3. Have someone push down on the bootlid while you push the release button and take some of the pressure off the locking latch.
  4. Last of all,,and this is VERY important,,,,join your local Cadillac LaSalle Club  as you will find a wealth of information from guys who  don't have a computer  so don't see this board
Doug  in Sydney NSW
1954 Series 60 Sedan

1969 Superior Ambulance

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
I agree with Doug's suggestions. That's what I'd do too.

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
By the way, where are you located 57flw?

Dale (Melbourne).
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline 59CoupeDeville

• DeVille Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
Hi Ken,

Not to familiar with how the 57's hang together, but you could look at removing the rear seat, you can usually can get into the boot from there (with a tight sqeeze), take a torch and screw driver. You should be able to get the boot open once inside without too much damage.

Good luck and best wishes,

Steve (Melbourne)

Offline 57flw

• DeVille Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »
Hi Doug, Dale and Steve.
Thanks very much for your help. Sorry for the delay in responding. I had some message board registration problems that Rick Haselwood helped me with.
I managed to get the boot opened. There was a lot of take away wrappers covering the pull down motor unit that needed to be cleared away, with the aid of a hook wire via the gap behind the rear seat.
I could then use a screw driver as suggested.
This was my first message and request for assistance and what a great effort by all. By the way Doug I will take your advice in relation to joining the Cadillac Lasalle Club.
Once again Many Thanks
Ken (Hervey Bay QLD)
Ken Francis
1957 Fleetwood 60 Series
Hervey Bay, Queensland.