Author Topic: 1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille  (Read 17 times)

Offline macman

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
« on: May 19, 2022, 06:46:36 PM »
Hello,

I have just purchased my all-time dream car, a 1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille in the 4-window "flat-top" version. It was imported into Australia ~2009 and lived in Queensland (specifically Brisbane area) until last week when it arrived "home" in Perth WA.

Other than a closed-door respray, I believe it's mostly original. Thankfully it was resprayed in its original Brenton (or Breton) Blue and although it originally would have had a Georgian Blue roof, it now has a white roof... Maybe that will change one day when there's nothing else that needs doing?

Interior is Blue Camden Cloth & Blue Leather which is tidy other than a quite worn drivers seat. Engine is the original 390ci with "Jetaway" 4-speed automatic. Options are E-Z Eye glass, Heater, A/C, 6-way power seat - all pretty standard for deVille in 1959 I believe?

As it stands the to-do list is just getting longer but most importantly (and to get it licensed in WA) the list is:

- Power steering box is leaking and needs to be repaired
- I would like to change the generator to an alternator (thinking Powermaster, but we'll see), the regulator is already playing up
- Brake vacuum servo isn't working at all so I am looking into a dual-circuit brake master cylinder and suitable servo
- Recommission the heater which has been disconnected and bypassed
- Repair the drivers seat (I'd be happy with a neat repair/patch job at this stage)
- Needs new tyres fitted

But there's definitely more than just that...

I'm looking forward to spending time with my Mum and Dad during the journey - they have both always been "into" old cars and my Dad was a motor mechanic. I think my girlfriend will be happy once we can ride around on the weekends together wasting time in the Cadillac!

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 09:31:17 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase, and adding to the Cadillac numbers over in the West.

Those Flat-top cars are always a beautiful design.   Flashy and classy.

A word of caution regarding the heater being bypassed.   This was most likely done because the heater core was leaking, so I would advise getting it out and checked before attempting to run water through it.

Bruce. :devil:

PS.   Your best friend will be the Shop Manual.  They are always coming up on ebay.   Don't settle for one of the Haynes types, as they are really not that good, compared to the Factory one.
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)