Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Cars For Sale or Wanted / Looking for a 77 to 79 Seville
« Last post by CAD161 on July 07, 2021, 03:00:08 AM »
Hey , Iím looking to buy a 1977 to 1979 rhd Seville send a message if you have one to sell. 
General Technical Help / Re: Radio Speaker
« Last post by Bruce Reynolds on June 20, 2021, 03:19:24 PM »
G'day Robert,

You can still run a newish double terminal speaker with a one wire setting.   Just put the wire on the + terminal, and then ground the - terminal to one of the speaker attaching screws.

I have used 4 Ohm speakers in old systems many times with no known problems, but the best sound reproduction will be from a 10 Ohm one.   What the difference is, I wouldn't have a clue, as I am not a radio person.   Just turn them on, and select a station, and listen.

Bruce. :devil:
« Last post by Robertw on June 20, 2021, 12:27:19 PM »
Hello Bruce,
I have a manual and will have a look. I think it has one speaker wire out
Robert
« Last post by Bruce Reynolds on June 13, 2021, 11:53:01 AM »
Do you have the Shop Manual?   As the wiring diagram will show if it is a one wire speaker or not.

« Last post by Robertw on June 13, 2021, 10:09:38 AM »
Hello Bruce,
Yes this is for a factory 1965 radio. Thank you for the help.
Regards
Robert
Forum Help Desk / La Salle differential
« Last post by dale collins on June 10, 2021, 05:12:36 PM »
Recently I purchased a 1937 Lasalle opera coupe. As  it has a slight whine in the diff from 20-40 MPH I was thinking to pull it out and fit new bearings throughout. From what I can read on the forums, this appears to be an enormous challenge to most. What I need to know is: what type and number are the Timken or other bearings fitted to these? I do not want to pull it apart,only to find the bearings are not available. I have spoken to Geoff MacNamara of Moorabbin diffs, who is actually an ex marine engineer like myself, and he is confident he can do this diff, if I cannot myself. But, still, we will need to have the bearings available. Can anyone help here? Dale Collins. [Ballarat]
« Last post by Bruce Reynolds on June 05, 2021, 09:46:08 PM »
G'day Robert,

Is this for a Factory 1965 Radio? or an aftermarket radio?

The Factory Speaker is a 10 Ohm, and should be available at Radio Repair or Parts Suppliers, but if it is for an aftermarket radio, then it could be a 4 Ohm, and these are everywhere.

I have picked up Speakers in scouring the wreckers, and it would be a simple task to make up a mount to fit an irregular-shaped speaker within the original housing.

Be aware that sometimes the Factory uses a single wire to the Speaker to the + terminal, and then grounds the - terminal to the body.

General Technical Help / Radio Speaker
« Last post by Robertw on June 05, 2021, 05:04:48 PM »
Hello, Does anyone know where i can get a rear speaker for a 1965 Cadillac DeVille Convertible. Thank You
G'day David,

They might not be happy, but they should be the best to handle the task, as they should know just what pressure to apply to get the job done.

The problems with replacing the glass in the chrome frame is that in a lot of cases, the new replacement glass is of a different thickness than the original.

If you have a Shop Manual, It may show you the steps needed, and the correct tool to set the glass into the frame, using the correct setting tape.   But, if not, I will see if I can find pictures of the tool.   It is a clamp that presses on both sides of the glass, and then pushes the frame onto the glass.   You can't press the glass on its end, or it could break, but pressure is needed.   If the Glass place is an old one, they should have that tool already.   Plus, I think that you will find that the frame will come apart, as the factory had to assemble it in the first place.

Another way could be to set the glass into the channels using a silicone that is not acetic, as this stuff will cause the frame to internally rust.

I have a cracked drivers side front window glass on my 1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille & have a new Aussie made glass C/w tape ex." Glass 4 Classics " in Queensland, ready to be installed, all through my insurance policy.
My usual well known  auto glass contact in Adelaide can do the removal & installation but not happily, due to possible difficulties & damage in removing & replacing the chrome  U section that attaches to the 3 sides of the glass. ?
Any advice as to my next  move will be greatly appreciated, thank you.   David Trembath.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10