Author Topic: 1985 Eldorado Coolant leak  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Jon

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
  • Mood: good
  • My Name: Jon Tuncks
1985 Eldorado Coolant leak
« on: March 07, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »
Hi there,  my name is Jon and I am new to this site.  I have a 1985 Eldorado 4.1 motor with a coolant leak between the motor and the transmission.  My question is:  Is there welch plugs at the rear of the motor or a plate between the transmission and the motor.  Can anyone advise me on this as I am unable to use the car now and it has only just been registered.  A photo of the car is attached for info.  I would appreciate any advice so that I can proceed with the repairs.

Thanks

Offline 59CoupeDeville

• DeVille Member
Re: 1985 Eldorado Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
Hi Jon,  welcome to the community.

With a bit of luck you may have the leak coming from a corroded welsh plug in the rear of the head. If there is room between the firewall, you could get a small torch and mirror in there to check. If it is leaking from one of those, it will mean removing the head to do the replacement and if you are going to do one side, odds on the other side is ready to go as well.

Hopefully your motor doesn't have a welsh plug between the block and the trans, if it does (i'm not familiar with this model motor) then the trans will need to be seperated to fix it.

I've done a couple of head welsh plugs and they are not that hard to do, just a pain in the behind when they leak.

Good luck with it.

Cheers...Steve

Offline Jon

• 62 Series Member
  • I'm new here
  • Mood: good
  • My Name: Jon Tuncks
Re: 1985 Eldorado Coolant leak
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:37:02 PM »
Thanks Steve
I'll have a look behind the head tonight and see if I'm in luck, if not, well it looks like the trans out.

Jon