Author Topic: driveshaft removal - ambulance  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
    • Cadillac LaSalle Club of Australia
driveshaft removal - ambulance
« on: October 18, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
For the hearse/ambulance folk, is the driveshaft in a commercial chassis one continuous shaft, or is there a joint in the middle somewhere?

I'm having trouble removing the driveshaft from my 60 MM, I've got it removed from the diff, but I can only move it back about 2" before it gets "hung up" and won't go any further. Pretty annoying.
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline Doug Lemon

• Eldorado Member
Re: driveshaft removal - ambulance
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
Yes  some do have a carrier bearing mid way  you will have to get under midship (thats the middle of the car for you non navy guys) and have a look.
Doug  in Sydney NSW
1954 Series 60 Sedan

1969 Superior Ambulance

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
Good terminology, you have to be a land sailor to drive this thing.

There are two bolts mid-ship when looking from underneath, but for what I don't know, the length of the driveshaft is covered by a plate. And can't access from the top either due to the transmission tunnel. I might have to cut a hole in the top of the tunnel to have a look.
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »
Oh my God....... Don't cut anything.

You have a Central Bearing and Tailshaft Support combined, and the two bolts hold it into place.

There is just enough room to remove the tailshaft and bearing attached out the rear of the Centre "X" member and as the tailshaft and bearing comes out, you will need to assist the front yoke through the front of the X Member hole, and lift the front of the rear tailshaft so that the Centre Bearing and mount will come out.

The shaft will not come out the front.

Bruce. >:D

PS.  When replacing the tailshaft, wrap the front yoke in rag so it doesn't pick up any dirt that might be laying in the X Member.

Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
Well chalk another miracle up to Mary MacKillop, I got it out. Thanks for the info Bruce.

I didn't need to get it out all the way, I just needed to back it out of the trans so I can get the motor and gearbox out. But I can tell this centre bearing might be a pain to put back in. The bolts are just within reach of the fingertips when I've got my arm down the tunnel. Lucky quarantine cleaned it so good, otherwise I might be afraid of what's living in that tunnel, hehe.
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Good to hear.

Getting it back into place is easy.

Just place the yoke and rear universals into position, then with one hand, raise the centre of the shaft and let the centre bearing mount just sit where it falls, and with a bit of juggling with the hand to position the shaft in the centre, and a spike in the hole to position it into its' correct place, then insert the bolts.

I could never get my hand, let alone my arm up there.

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »
I could never get my hand, let alone my arm up there.

Well the bolts were free-spinning after I loosened the nuts on the underside, but I could just get my arm in there to put a socket on the head of the bolts. Hard to tell if that's how they're s'posed to be installed, there's so much on this car that has been retro-fitted and dodgy'd up. You should've seen the crossmember under the transmission... a piece of rebar and a steel plate with a couple of bolts through it.
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »
Ah ha.......... Someone has done a modification, probably after stripping the thread in the mounting.

These Centre Bearings are supposed to contain threads in the base, and are bolted up from underneath.

If I were you, I would be pulling the shaft out, and welding a pair of nuts onto the top of the mounting flange, and simply using longer bolts to fasten it back together.

Offline Rick

• Club Member
  • Eldorado Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »
That would explain it. Hard to imagine they'd be designed like that with a nut & bolt setup.
Rick
Bligh Park, NSW
1960 Miller Meteor