Author Topic: Radiator overflow tank  (Read 1968 times)

Offline fab60cad

• DeVille Member
Radiator overflow tank
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »
Has anyone installed an overflow radiator tank to their caddy. I have a 60 coupe deville. I get coolant overflow so I was thinking about a overflow tank.
If you' ve installed one, what type (make/model) did you install and where did you buy it
Cheers

Offline MY 59

• DeVille Member
Re: Radiator overflow tank
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
From what I understand with a non recovery system, it is normal for the radiator to overflow due to the water/coolant expansion (and most people keep topping up - thus it keeps overflowing when hot). The level tends to sit about an inch from full to the neck when cold, and if constantly filled to the top will overflow until it reaches this level.
I put a recovery system on my '59, new cap and plastic tank cost about 25 - 30 bucks, works great, fills a little when hot, then sucks it back in when cold

can post a pick if you would like

Cheers

Dave
'59 Sedan Deville
'67 ZA Ford Fairlane

Offline fab60cad

• DeVille Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »
Hi Dave
Could you please post a pic and whe did you bunt from
Cheers

Offline MY 59

• DeVille Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »

I am sure someone will say it is wrong and not original etc, but it works, and for me having an old car is cool, but having an old car that is reliable and doesnt overheat etc is cooler ! :)

I purchased it from a local Auto 1,  it is the same kit as the universal wiper washer bottle with built in electric motor. As I say about $20.00
When I had the Radiator serviced I told them I wanted to use recovery, and if they had to do anything to the neck then to do so, they didnt charge me any extra, so unsure if anything is required there.
'59 Sedan Deville
'67 ZA Ford Fairlane

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:23:35 AM »
Good looking job.

The radiator filler neck needs to be modified (changed) so that a coolant returning cap can be used.

Where the differences occur is that the normal non-recovery cap is only capable of letting coolant out once the pressure is reached, the Recovery Cap has three sealing surfaces.   One in the same place as the original, at the bottom of the hole, and another at the side and the last in the base of the cap.

This second seal seals the side of the outer perimeter of the "sleeve" that the cap fits into to stop coolant from exiting out the top of the cap and assists in the coolant return.

The last one allows the evacuating of the overflow tank back into the radiator as the heat dissipates from the main coolant within the engine and radiator.

When you get a chance look inside the Cadillac radiator top, and then an HZ or later Holden.   There is about a 1" difference in depth from the top of the flange to the sealing flange.

Plus, the bottom of the cap retainer should sit at the highest point of the radiator so that there is less space for air to be retained within the radiator.

Bruce. >:D

Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline MY 59

• DeVille Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
I just was looking through my receipts on another matter and found the radiator service invoice.
they did not seem to charge me extra for this but have noted to alter/change the neck to suit recovery system, so as Bruce says their is a difference in the neck.

My cad sits just below 1/4 temp and never budges no matter the outside temp (and it gets HOT in WA!) or aircon running etc..still want to complete the cooling system with a damn fan shroud, as it was missing off the car when I purchased it :(
'59 Sedan Deville
'67 ZA Ford Fairlane