Author Topic: Replacing a 60 caddy cpe radiator  (Read 1783 times)

Offline fab60cad

• DeVille Member
Replacing a 60 caddy cpe radiator
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
Since I bought my caddy 4 yrs ago from USA I have not had the radiator cleaned.  My car seems to overheat and spill the coolant all over under the bonnet and engine bay. 
I was thinking i might change the radiator cap and get the radiator flushed and cleaned.
I was considering even changing the whole radiator.
Has anyone changed the radiator completely and if so what make and model suits a 6 caddy.

Cheers

Offline pdm59

• Fleetwood Member
Re: Replacing a 60 caddy cpe radiator
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:43:31 AM »
I fitted a new core to  my 59 supplied by Aussie dessert cooler radiators, best thing I ever did. Runs constant temp all day every day even in sweltering conditions. I also fitted an external trans cooler to keep the beast cool. These can be purchased anywhere, from memory the upgraded radiator was a couple of hundred and easily removed and replaced. Hope this helps

Paul  :cool: :cool:

Online Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:49:49 AM »
If you are looking for an original replacement, then check out your local radiator shop.   Could be cheaper to simply get a replacement core.   And there will be no alterations required to anything in the engine bay.

If I knew who made the Aluminium Radiator that I had to replace in a '71 Eldorado, I would send it back to them as it was totally useless.   Warped, and leaking from most hard-to-get-at areas.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline pdm59

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:01:19 AM »
Aussie dessert coolers fitted a new larger core to my original radiator, wouldn't know it had been done when in position, they are one of the few places that were confident in doing the job and knew exactly what was required. Why did you opt for an aluminium radiator in a classic car.

Paul 

Offline fab60cad

• DeVille Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 12:25:06 AM »
Thanks Paul and Bruce for the replies