Author Topic: 79 DeVille TH400 'PRNDL'  (Read 1766 times)

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
79 DeVille TH400 'PRNDL'
« on: February 06, 2016, 11:44:07 AM »
Hi Guys:
This car has me scratching my head. When I first drove it home, it was in 2nd (D2 not D3) because the PRNDL indicator on the steering column was out - it showed I was in D. It would also not kick down, or open the secondaries. These last problems were easily fixed, once I understood that someone (PO?) had adjusted the throttle cable out by about 1" so throttle never went past half open and max speed was about 50mph - I tell you this so that you might understand that it has been fiddled with.

Now to the PRNDL. Easy fix I thought, clean up the shift linkage underneath, and reset the clamp to Neutral. First, the linkage was sloppy, with missing springs and washers - now perfect.

But no, adjustment fails - because the rotating collar on the steering column attached to the gear lever won't actually rotate to the L position (hard right). Ive stopped here, because I'd like to know whether the collar is adjustable - does it have to fit on the steering column a particular way? Is it easy to do? I guess I have to dismantle the steering wheel assembly, and move it one or two positions on the spline? Or does the little red arrow on the PRNDL indicator have its own adjustment?

Has anyone done this before please?

Its not a show stopper, since the car drives fine, but it is very annoying to be driving along in N.
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project since Jan 16
2006 Fairmont V8 - gone to a good home
1996 E220 Cabriolet - for sale, replaced  by...
2013 E250 Cabriolet

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 79 DeVille TH400 'PRNDL'
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »
There is an adjustment at the base of the needle, and the below-dash tray has to be removed to access it.

The best way to do the adjustment is to put the transmission in Park, then adjust the linkage, then the indicator needle.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:43:08 PM »
To close out this topic: I had cause to actually look at the PRNDL needle indicator system this week - and yes, it was out by one position. Its a little wire around the gear select collar that pulls the needle, with a clip to keep it in its new place. I moved it about 3mm, and now perfect.
In my 79 Coupe deVille, its easy to get to by removing the plate from under the steering wheel. No big problem.

Dont know why it took me so long to fix.
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project since Jan 16
2006 Fairmont V8 - gone to a good home
1996 E220 Cabriolet - for sale, replaced  by...
2013 E250 Cabriolet

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 10:00:10 AM »
Congratulations on finally getting it aligned.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)