Author Topic: 1979 Coupe deVille - ESS module has melted yellow goop dripping  (Read 45 times)

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
Hi Guys:
Spotted yellow goop dripping from the LHS engine bay after a longish run: turned out to be the Electronic Spark Select module, which drives the spark advance in the HEI distributor. Its a black plastic container attached to the LHS front frame with 3 screws, 4-pin canon plugs, contains a complex PCB all covered in this yellow goop - apparently to 'seal' it. The PCB looks inaccessible.
Car still runs, seemingly as 'good' as ever - but that level of heat means something is about to fail. So not a driver until I fix it.
OS forums seem to indicate this melted module is common enough, but not a lot of spares about.

Anyone got an idea if it can be repaired? Or a suggestion as to where spare parts can be obtained?
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project since Jan 16
2006 Fairmont V8 - gone to a good home
1996 E220 Cabriolet - for sale, replaced  by...
2013 E250 Cabriolet

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
Re: 1979 Coupe deVille - ESS module has melted yellow goop dripping
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:16:56 PM »
Update 3 Jun 20:
The 1979 is the only 425 that had an ESS - no suprises that parts are unavailable. The electronic module in the dissy depends on the ESS. So either a new ESS, or a new dissy.
So I have bitten the bullet, and bought a new HEI dissy which includes coil and covers, new leads, and waiting for USA delivery.
It means I will have to have the new dissy re-curved, but thats OK. The 1979 manual has all the details of dissy curves in use, and I will put a 'proper' one in place and run the engine on 95 octane.

Let you know how it goes.
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project since Jan 16
2006 Fairmont V8 - gone to a good home
1996 E220 Cabriolet - for sale, replaced  by...
2013 E250 Cabriolet

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 1979 Coupe deVille - ESS module has melted yellow goop dripping
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:32:35 PM »
There is no need to run the engine on expensive petrol.

As these engines, that is engines built from 1971, were designed to run on Unleaded patrol, and as the compression ratios are low, it is totally safe to use 91, which is what I use in my own '72, which has a number of mods.

These engines have hardened valve seats from new, and the high-nickle content in the castings makes them really strong.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)