Author Topic: 79 CoupeDeVille heater core replacement  (Read 75 times)

Offline cad425

• 62 Series Member
  • Although optimistic - that fuel line is a worry!
  • Mood: Optimistic
  • My Name: John
79 CoupeDeVille heater core replacement
« on: August 18, 2020, 11:31:49 AM »
After some advice please:
The heater core started dripping coolant, can't have that so removed the 26 bolts surrounding the top of the A/C box in the engine bay, and with much difficulty removed the top of the box, then the heater core. Job half done! Cleaned all the rubbish and old coolant residue in there, and was looking forward to a better heater. Incidentally, the blower motor was quite stiff, drawing heaps of current, but after a bit of lubrication is back to 'normal'.

I have had the core replaced, and am working on putting it all back together. I did a trial replacement of the A/C box, and couldn't get it to fit back in - there is significant interference from the hood/bonnet at the top, and edge of the engine bay - I stopped after 3 attempts. Putting the new parts back in means a bit more finesse than when taking it out, because all the old gaskets/seals need to be delicately kept in place. So I am seriously considering lifting the hood about 30cm to get it back in.

Has anybody done this before?

I have the 1979 Manual - which is pretty specific - but it does not mention removing the hood.
1979 Coupe DeVille 425 - project since Jan 16
2006 Fairmont V8 - gone to a good home
1996 E220 Cabriolet - for sale, replaced  by...
2013 E250 Cabriolet

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: 79 CoupeDeVille heater core replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »
G'day John,

Thankfully, I have never had to replace a heater core before, and hopefully, I never have to.

One thing I have found is that whatever the Shop Manual describes, that is the best way to go.

The service times are dictated by the shop manual and in a warranty situation, there is designated time allowances for tasks, and the dealer cannot charge the company any more than what is allowed, so therefore these Manuals have to be right.

Funny thing is that pulling something to pieces always takes a shorter time than putting back together, properly that is.

Bruce. :devil:
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)