Author Topic: RHD Coversins in Perth  (Read 7814 times)

Offline Adam Kirk, Tony Taylor and Sal Bilotta

• 62 Series Member
RHD Coversins in Perth
« on: December 22, 2007, 02:44:32 AM »
Hi all,

New member to the site and very soon to be a proud owner of a 66 Caddy. Just wondering who the best people in Perth are for RHD conversions?

Thanks and i look forward to conversing with you all again in the future

Offline Dave

• DeVille Member
Re: RHD Coversins in Perth
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
Hello

Why do you want to convert it. In WA you can leave it LHD. You no longer need the stickers on the rear and you can save your money.

Dave
Dave,          Perth
Western Australia

Offline The Morgans

• DeVille Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 07:07:09 PM »
We've just taken our 59 hearse over the pits in Perth ( left hand drive ) and no problems. Passed first time and easy peasy to drive even though it is near 24 foot long.
If you are wanting to use yours for fares ( limo type work ) then it has to be RH drive.
Beechboro
Western Australia
**The Home of Hearses** 
1959 Cadillac Superior Hearse
1964 Cadillac Superior Hearse
CL Valiant Charger

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »
Hey,

Yeah it is gonna be used for limo work.

It looks like we may have 3 conversions to be done now, so please help

Offline The Morgans

• DeVille Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »
What's the going rate for conversions these days ?  ???
I heard it can add another $10,000 to the cost of the car. Is that in the ballpark or am I wrong ?  ???
Beechboro
Western Australia
**The Home of Hearses** 
CL Valiant Charger

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 10:39:49 PM »
Yeah i have heard between 8-10 thousand depending on the model,

I am gonna have a 66, a 68 and a 84 to get done in the near future.

any ideas???

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 09:38:34 AM »
I Have just heard from the DPI in Perth and if the vehicle is over 30 years old it can now stay LHD even if you are using it for Limousine work.

Thanks for the messages of help and we will hopefully see you on the road soon.

Have a great New year everyone

Offline PeterR

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
A guy named Terry Priestley was the big name in RHD conversions in Perth in the sixties to about the eighties - he's probably fogotten more about converting Cadillacs than most converters will ever know. I believe he is still about, but I don't know exactly where. Ask around anyone who has been involved in Yank cars in WA for many years and I reckon you will find him. If he is no longer in business he will know where to direct you.

Peter Ratcliff

Offline The Morgans

• DeVille Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »
I Have just heard from the DPI in Perth and if the vehicle is over 30 years old it can now stay LHD even if you are using it for Limousine work.

Interesting  ??? We have been told the complete reverse. They were happy for us to use it for limo work UNTIL we mentioned it was LHD. Then a flat no and no reason for it apart from the fact that is IS LHD.
Beechboro
Western Australia
**The Home of Hearses** 
CL Valiant Charger

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »
The main trouble with using a LHD vehicle for Hire is that there are a lot of things to consider when the customer is paying for the service.

You see, driving a LHD vehicle in a RHD world, sometimes it just isn't possible to try and stick to timetables (read as not safe) as one has to rely on a passenger for vital information, like it being safe to pull out to pass.

The Passengers are not there to assist in the movement of the vehicle, but to be just passengers.

Bruce.

PS.   I know everyone will shout me down, but I have driven many LHD vehicles for many, many years, and driving on a two-lane road, with traffic moving in both directions, and you are behind a Semi or other large vehicle, you will get passed by lots of cars, but you just don't have the ability to risk pulling out, as by the time you can see that the road is clear, it could be too late.

Standing back a long way to be able to see that the road is clear ahead is possible, but by the time you have accelerated to such a speed to be able to pass, a corner comes up, or a car appears ahead, and the manouvre is aborted.

Not every road is a four lane highway.
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »
I use LHD vehicles in my hire car business. I also drive very large stretch limousines professionally for another business and have done both of these for years. So I feel I have some experience in the chauffeur world.

Interesting to note that in some countries the preferred practice is to have chauffeurs drive vehicles of the opposite hand. That way, the driver is on the footpath side and ready to assist the (paying) passengers without walking around from the other side of the car (by which time the passenger has presumed you left them to their own devices and opened the door themselves), not good.

Also for many of us living in the major cities, overtaking on a single carriage roadway is a once a year event. I seriously can't remember the last time I was in a situation where I felt I wanted to. Of perhaps more hindrance to the LHD driver (in the city at least) is turning right at a major T intersection when someone is also turning right from the other direction. It can at times be difficult to see oncoming traffic. But far outweighing both of those is the attitude of the driver. A moron will always have (and cause) trouble no matter where the steering wheel is.

Having said all that, and having owned both a number of LHD and (converted to) RHD vehicles, it's LHD all the way for me.

Each to their own.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:06:11 AM »
............ Also for many of us living in the major cities, overtaking on a single carriage roadway is a once a year event. I seriously can't remember the last time I was in a situation where I felt I wanted to.    Each to their own.   
G'day Dale,

You definitely wouldn't want to be coming down to Tasmania, any time soon, and try touring the country-side.   

If nobody passed the "slow-coaches" then the traffic jams would be like a Conga Line in Brazil on Mardi Gras Day.

Bruce.
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:41 PM »
I have no doubt you're spot on Bruce, although I wish I WAS coming to Tassie. My wife and I spent our honeymoon there some 13 years ago, and it was a pure delight. I love the place. If I was ever going to move somewhere and didn't have to worry about work, Tassie would be it for me.

...maybe when I retire!

I do remember many of the roads being exactly what you say. We toured all over from Hobart down to Port Arthur, then diagonally through the middle up to Strahan, and then across past Cradle Mountain and into Launeston. And the 4 cyl Camry automatic we hired was super frustrating, especially when overtaking! I'd love to get back one day and see the East coast which I hear is lovely too.

Being someone who'd rather be chilly than hot, I can honestly say you're a lucky (Tassie) devil living down there Bruce. Quite possibly the best place in the world.

Enjoy.

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline The Morgans

• DeVille Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »

Thanks for the messages of help and we will hopefully see you on the road soon.

Have a great New year everyone

Would be interested in seeing this inwriting as all inquiries thus far by phone we have been told NO.
Beechboro
Western Australia
**The Home of Hearses** 
CL Valiant Charger

Offline The Morgans

• DeVille Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 05:33:15 PM »
Further inquiries to the Technical Department of the DPI has confirmed that there would be NO APPROVALS whatsoever for a LHD vehicle doing limo work.
Beechboro
Western Australia
**The Home of Hearses** 
CL Valiant Charger