Author Topic: RHD Coversins in Perth  (Read 7813 times)

Offline mrdestiny

• Fleetwood Member
Re: RHD Coversins in Perth
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:12:42 AM »
The ruling against LHD vehicles for limo work is probably safety related. My (RHD) hearse limos are registered in NSW as small buses. You cannot have an offside door on a bus, hence the rear off side doors have been rendered inoperative by removal of the internal door handles.
Allan
www.destinytours.com.au

Offline Dave & Deb

• Fleetwood Member
    • Hunter Valley Cadillacs
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
In NSW the ruling for limo work is that the car must comply with the registration standards.  The registration standards are that LHD is OK as long as the vehicle is over 30 years old.  We have two LHD Cadillacs with full hire car (HC plates) accreditation. 
On the rego papers there is a notation which states "hire car - left hand drive".

Dave & Debbie
1958 Fleetwood Series 75
1959 Six Window Sedan
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1968 Pontiac Parisienne Convertible

Hunter Valley NSW

Offline Adam Kirk, Tony Taylor and Sal Bilotta

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 04:35:42 AM »
In NSW the ruling for limo work is that the car must comply with the registration standards.  The registration standards are that LHD is OK as long as the vehicle is over 30 years old.  We have two LHD Cadillacs with full hire car (HC plates) accreditation. 
On the rego papers there is a notation which states "hire car - left hand drive

This is the same wording i have from a DPI document, therefore our 40 year old vehicles would be eligible to stay LHD.

Adam

Offline Dave & Deb

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 09:13:20 AM »
Hi Adam,

The trouble is that if you ask six different people at the DPI you'll probably get six different answers.  Every time I deal with the NSW RTA they try and tell me I need a great big ugly left hand drive sticker on the back of the car which I don't have to.
A lot of these people are still living in the bad old days when LHD was a big NO NO.  Some of them haven't moved into the 21st century and when confronted with LHD go to the rules they remember from years ago.  When I registered my '58 series 75 the RTA tried to tell me I needed an engineers certificate for the stretching of it.  It took some convincing to explain it was factory original, not a stretch limo.  That's how stupid some of these people are.
If the wording of your document is the same as the rules in NSW I'd be trying to push it through with the steering wheel where it is.  If they won't allow it. get the ruling from the WA DPI in writing.  Never take a verbal opinion from these people as they could well be wrong.   

Dave   
1958 Fleetwood Series 75
1959 Six Window Sedan

Hunter Valley NSW

Offline Dale

• Eldorado Member
    • 1800 FIRETRUCK
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »
Spot on Dave.

Dale.
Dale Stephens
1800FIRETRUCK.com.au
Melbourne.

Offline The Morgans

• DeVille Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »
On this issue, here in Western Australia, and according to the main man in charge....he stated that NO LHD vehicle will be permitted to be used for limo work here in W.A.
Beechboro
Western Australia
**The Home of Hearses** 
1959 Cadillac Superior Hearse
1964 Cadillac Superior Hearse
CL Valiant Charger

Offline Dave & Deb

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
I'd still want to see that ruling in writing.

Dave
1958 Fleetwood Series 75
1959 Six Window Sedan

Hunter Valley NSW

Offline Shorty64cad

• Fleetwood Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just out of interest, I looked up the DPI web page to see if there is anything definitive on this subject of LHD hire cars in WA.  I found a file called "Small Charter Vehicle Licence Policy" which seems to cover the area that is being talked about.  It is at:

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/taxi_scv_policy.pdf

and at the very end of it, it has a list of "Qualifying Conditions" of which one is:

"Left hand drive vehicles will not be licensed to carry fare paying passengers."

This policy covers both "classic" cars as well as modern luxury and stretch cars, which is a real shame.  There is another category here in Victoria called "Restricted Hire Vehicles" which separates Classics from modern hire cars, that only allows them to do such things as weddings, formals, etc, but allows them to stay LHD.  I couldn't find anything to suggest that there is something similar in WA, so you may be stuck with the rules that apply to all hire cars.  Perhaps you could get that confirmed.

Hope this helps,

Greg.
1969 Eldorado.
The Basin, Victoria.

Offline The Morgans

• DeVille Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »
Any updates on your cars registration ? Did you get to talk to the guys at Big Al's Poker Run who had imported two 57 Chevs for limo work. They were told no regisatration for limo work in W.A. unless they converted to right hand drive. So they were about to convert apparently. They bought them especially for Limo work but were knocked back on that for registration.
Beechboro
Western Australia
**The Home of Hearses** 
CL Valiant Charger

Offline Adam Kirk, Tony Taylor and Sal Bilotta

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 11:52:28 PM »
 >:( Yeah thats right, no LHD regos for Limo work despite the wording in there printed charters. No point in arguing with them though or else we won't have any chance of getting them passed over the pits. This has put us back about 5-7 weeks as well as about $25000 for the two cars..........

Offline The Morgans

• DeVille Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »
>:( Yeah thats right, no LHD regos for Limo work despite the wording in there printed charters. No point in arguing with them though or else we won't have any chance of getting them passed over the pits. This has put us back about 5-7 weeks as well as about $25000 for the two cars..........

Any updates on how your vehicles are going with the conversions ? Any photos ? Are you happy with whoever you chose to do the conversion work for you ?
Beechboro
Western Australia
**The Home of Hearses** 
CL Valiant Charger