Author Topic: silly question - what auto do I have?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline 62Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
silly question - what auto do I have?
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
Hello everyone, what is the specific model transmission in my 1962 fleetwood sedan? I've been trying to research it and have found the terms "hydramatic" and "jetway", but still unsure.  Specifically wanting to know if its a 3 speed or 4 speed auto?

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
Re: silly question - what auto do I have?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
G'day Chris,

Well, it is a Hydramatic, and 4 speed.   The Jetaway was the brand name for Oldsmobile, and the Dynaflow for Buick.

The first to Second Gear change is extremely hard to feel, and changes at about 5 to 7 MPH.

Bruce. >:D
Bruce Reynolds, Lindisfarne, TASMANIA
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline 62Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:28:34 PM »
Thats wonderful news! Is the Hydramatic 4 speed top gear an overdrive? Any idea what kind of RPM these girls sit on at 60mph?  I've only had her driving up the street but have experienced the first gear change =)  Thanks Bruce!

Chris

Offline Dave & Deb

• Fleetwood Member
    • Hunter Valley Cadillacs
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
Hi Chris,

According to the '59 workshop manual the top gear ratio will be 1:1.  I don't think there was any changes to the ratios for the later Jetaways.  Not sure of the RPM on the highway as I've never checked but this will depend on the diff ratio.

Dave 
1958 Fleetwood Series 75
1959 Six Window Sedan
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1968 Pontiac Parisienne Convertible

Hunter Valley NSW

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
Yes, the top gear is 1 to 1, and the "Blue Dimension" 4th Gears of the later cars is an overdrive.   Sadly, Cadillac wasn't that far advanced.

Offline 62Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
Thanks for that Bruce and Dave! I managed to take her for a drive down the street yesterday after some more work on the motor and carby.  Now the engine's running fine, i am playing with the auto.  I had a look underneath and the auto looks to be freshly painted, has definitely had a freshen up at some point.  I won't be getting a workshop manual for a few weeks yet, so hopefully you guys can give me some advice.  I don't have a working speedo, so can only approximate what speed I was doing.  I have Low and  two drive selections on the column, i assume this is low , an intermediate gear and then drive?  When taking off in low, auto feels good.  When taking off in Drive, auto feels good, maybe doing about 20 km/h it changes gear and drops revs dramatically, feels like maybe skipping a gear.  When i slow down and back off the accelerator, maybe to around 5-10 km/h, if i put my foot down again, it feels as though it hasn't changed down properly and slips excessively.  If I come to a stop and take off again or re-select low, its fine and feels good without slippage.  I am sure it has been sitting for at least 5 years.. The trains fluid is full.  I am also assuming to check trans fluid, cycle through gears and then neutral or park and check while engine is running?  I am also not sure of the location of the "TV rod" and wonder whether it may be out of adjustment?  Thanks for any information you can give me.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 01:36:56 PM »
G'day Chris,

The TV Rod, is the Rod that goes from the Carburettor to the Transmission, and the TV stands for Throttle Valve and its' purpose is to control the Oil Line Pressure within the transmission to give optimum performance

Now, the Gear Change you are noticing the big revolutions drop is the Second to Third.

The First to Second is only at low speed.

When taking off in D2, the transmission does not select Low Gear, and should only be used when taling off from a flat piece of road.   D1 is for better performance and taking off on hills and the like.

Offline 62Fleetwood

• 62 Series Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:20:41 PM »
Thanks Bruce!  So the throttle valve adjustment will control the shift point of all gears or 1 gear specifically?   Low will hold in first gear, D1 will select low then progress through the gears, D2 will start in 2nd gear and progress through the gears, is this correct?  Any ideas on why i would be experiencing the excessive slip? (after the 2nd to 3rd change, decelerating in 3rd till around 10 km/h and then re applying accelerator is when it happens) Also, D2 is closest to park and D1 is closest to reverse on the hydramatic indicator (Park, neutral, D2, D1,L,R)?

Cheers

Chris

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Club Member
  • Brougham Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »
Yes Chris,

These Transmissions have the Reverse at the opposite end to Park.

Really good for getting the car out of a bogged situation, but that is all.

Have you checked the Oil Level?    These Transmissions contain a lot of oil, and they don't have a Torque Converter, but have a Fluid Drive unit.

Your Gear-changing process description is correct, and it won't be that many times you will have to start with the Selector in D1.

If the TV Adjustment is out, it won't control the shift points as such, but will give you possibly what you are experiencing in the odd events, and when you get your Workshop Manual, you will see the correct method of adjusting it.   Not Rocket Science, but necessary.